Coup in Manila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coup in Manila

Something is up, don't know what yet. The news here is full of it, but I can't understand a word.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Doesn't seem to be quite that: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/as...tel/index.html
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Ha! Thanks Kassi.

Comment

The group that took the hotel on Thursday did so after walking out of a Manila court hearing where they were on trial for a 2003 attempted coup.

That uprising failed when the armed forces declined to join the rebel soldiers.
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

A bunch of disgruntled officers have holed up in a luxury hotel -- again -- and demanded the resignation of the president -- again.

Eventually, they'll surrender; about two years from now, they'll stand trial; they'll be found guilty of what is, any way you slice it, treason; and then the president will pardon them all and reinstate them in their former positions.

Philippine politics.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Still, when government APC fire on luxury hotels it has a funny effect on currency conversion rates, as well as those who happen to be in the hotel.

I recently bought $9000 worth of pesos. Ooopppsss.

Comment

I think even the markets have learned by this point that these idiotic "coup" attempts are a joke. Just give it a week, at the outside, and the peso will be back to where it was yesterday.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Good advise. I'm not running off to the black market looking for dollars, that's certain. Besides, Christmas remitances from OFWs will be flowing in soon in the billions of $, forcing the $ down... unless the Philipinos get too crazy and do something really unsightly in the streets of Manila.

Comment

They won't. Filipinos will take to the streets when it seems like it actually might matter (like in July 2005, and again in Feb. 2006) -- or when they're bussed in and paid to, (usually with Jollibee coupons) -- but everyone is sick of these self-aggrandizing Oakwood losers. If Philippine politics were an American election, these guys would be Lyndon LaRouche.

Comment

Yep. NY Times, just a few minutes ago:

MANILA, Nov. 29 — Shortly after a police armored personnel carrier rammed through a hotel lobby in the Philippine capital, a group of soldiers and military officers announced they were ending the standoff with police that began Thursday morning. They said they were giving up because they feared that the violence would escalate and put the lives of civilians in the hotel in danger.
                    Traitorous, disingenuous (what did they think would happen when they seized a luxury hotel?) and cowardly.

And GMA will pardon them. Just watch.

Comment

Ahh well, they don't take easily to judgeing others even when they should. I've seen worse traits in peoples.

Funny you should mention Jollibee. Dolores went to Tagbilaran today, just got back with dinner...2 Yums and an order of fries.

Not very good, but not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        ... when they're bussed in and paid to, (usually with Jollibee coupons) ...
                        I love the Philippines, but Jollibee has to be the worst fast food place in the galaxy! --Oh, were you guys talking about something important? Carry on.

Comment

Well there's always McD's at BQ Mall. Complete with rice and fried chicken here in the Phils. Try ordering that at McD's on Main St. USA!

Actually the fast food that stands out here is Pizza Hut. Much better than the blah crap they sell in the US, at half the price. Also now there's Gerry's Grill at BQ, good sit down eatery food, still reasonable and with an astonishing view of Tagbilaran Bay, and frosty slushy drinks that Dolores likes. That wasn't open yet when you were here Zkrib.

Comment

Stop...torturing...gasp...me. ...sounds...wonderful.

Comment

They have juicy steaks sizzling on the bbq...

Comment

Working...
                              X