Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just finished reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

......great book!

Why did I not read this years ago? I've been tracking down as many of Robet Heinlein's books as I can the last few months.

Poor Robert Heinlein does not get enough credit when people look at authors like Tolkein, Asimov or Herbert.

Loved the book.

I felt bad for poor Mike though! He should of survived.
    Last edited by Vesayen; November 28, 2007, 21:25.

Thanks... no need to read it now I guess.

Since you'll probably plagiarize it any way.

^not a bad idea!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Oh you suck, lol.

But it is still a great book. Why is poor Robert Heinlein not spoken of more when people speak of great fiction authors?

Comment

One of my MANY managers has a Masters in Pyshcology and then realized how worthless it was and got a BS in ChemE, he's a great boss... Anyway, you get him started on Starship Troopers and it's a 2 hour conversation. Would you like to more?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Heinlein is thought of as a great writer... not sure who you talk about but he's spoken of alongside Asimov as one of the two writers who revolutionized SF back in the day...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoopy: When people recommend books on say, Apolyton or elsewhere online, Henlein always seems to miss the list.

Comment

Heinlein
              Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

Just read a great compilation of his shorter stories. Funny, how a introduction written in 1970 critizises his pre-Apollo Moon story, how "it actually takes the resources of a nation state to build a spaceprogram"... Yet, we have entrepreneurs just like Harriman, working on spaceflight at this moment.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

You should read his Starship Troopers. It's completely unlike the movie and depicts a successful fascist society.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Yeah, it's scifi.
                    Blah

Comment

Starship troopers is a great book.

Comment

Heinlein is considered one of the old time greats of Science Fiction by knowledgable fans. Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one of my favorites as well. Stranger in a Strange Land is a mandatory read for many college English classes. Double Star is also a great novel.

However, Heinlein does sometimes take abuse for much of his work after Stranger in a Strange Land. His obsession with death and living forever dominates the themes of his later novels, many of which are nowhere near as good as most of his earlier work.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is ok, but the premise is a bit off, I'd think that the harsh environment would encourage collectivist ideals. And in any Lunar-Earth war Earth would win. As a metaphor the book's quite good.
                          Last edited by Heraclitus; November 29, 2007, 12:27.
                          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                            You should read his Starship Troopers. It's completely unlike the movie and depicts a successful fascist society.
                            It's been called that, but after reading it I couldn't see it as fascist. Socially retarded and jingoistic, sure, and the fifties mores of the characters were amusing, but not fascist.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                              ...and the fifties mores of the characters were amusing, but not fascist.
                              This is so constant in a lot of golden age scifi. It's something I think SF writers do a lot better now - extrapolate changes in culture and society, etc.

But I wonder if, fifty years down the line, people will look back and say, "Oh my, those SF writers in the oughts were so stuck in their ways!"
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X