In the spirit of competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the spirit of competition

TORONTO - A shocking on-ice brawl involving eight-year-old junior hockey players over the weekend had officials denouncing their coaches Tuesday and a passionate defender of children's sport comparing the intense spirit of competition that apparently fuelled the fight as borderline "child abuse."

NHL hockey dad Emile Therien said he can hardly believe that young children would even be involved in an out-of-town tournament such as the one in Guelph, Ont., over the weekend where the unsavoury scrap took place.

"It's unbelievable that you let eight-year-old kids play at such a high competitive pressure level," said Therien, former president of the Canada Safety Council, who called for an end to competitive leagues for children under the age of 12.

"It smacks of everything that's wrong with hockey in this country, minor hockey."

The fight erupted Saturday between members of the Duffield Devils and Niagara Falls Thunder during a novice Triple-A hockey tournament.

A video recording of the fight was being reviewed by police, who are expected to decide as early as Wednesday whether to lay criminal charges amid allegations that one of the adult coaches spit in the face of his cross-ice counterpart.

Police are alleging that when a small fight broke out between players on the ice, both coaches sent in more players from the bench to join in.

The Ontario Minor Hockey Association began its own investigation and was being assisted by the Niagara Falls Minor Hockey Association and the Greater Toronto Hockey League.

"Which group was the first to act, (and) which was the next to react, doesn't make any difference," said GTHL president John Gardner.

"For adults to get into a situation like this . . . it's not good for hockey and we're not going to tolerate it."

In a statement, Butch Sacco of the Niagara Falls association said the video "demonstrated that members of each coaching staff were equally at fault for escalating the violence of the situation."

The statement alleges the "Duffield Devil players greatly outnumbered the Niagara Falls players on the ice when the altercation occurred."

"While it appeared that the incident between the children didn't last more than 30 seconds, it is obvious by this tape that the Niagara Falls players were clearly defending themselves," the statement reads.

The provincial association handed out suspensions for both head coaches and their respective staffs. Six players, three from each team, were also given various suspensions ranging in length from one to four games.

The associations made it clear coaching staff could also face dismissal.

Zamboni driver Lorne Wollis, who has been resurfacing the ice at Guelph's Exhibition Park arena for 33 years, said Tuesday he's never seen players that young engage in that level of violence.

"You might see the cheap shot. It's like a hit-and-run, they'll throw a punch and then skate away, but never, ever a free-for-all like that," said Wollis, who witnessed the fight.

"I'm not saying what team was right or wrong, but it's still something you don't like to see, especially from eight-to 12-year olds. I mean, it's bad enough when you see it in the bantams."

Therien, whose son Chris played for both the Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Stars, called the incident "brutal" and said it's time to shut down competitive hockey for children under 12.

"What are eight-year-old kids doing at a tournament in Guelph, Ontario? You tell me. It's goofy," he said.

"Allowing these kids to participate at that level of competition, it borders on insanity, it's totally irresponsible and it smacks of child abuse."

The brawl comes in the wake of a Hockey Canada decision to discontinue pilot projects in Ontario and Saskatchewan that allowed bodychecking for nine-and 10-year olds playing at the atom level.

The ruling takes effect for the 2008-09 season, which means checking for atom players in the pilot project will continue this season.

Sorry. The video is not yet available.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

A video recording of the fight was being reviewed by police, who are expected to decide as early as Wednesday whether to put it on Youtube for everyone's entertainment

fixed

Comment

Anyway, I thought this sort of thing was the whole point of ice-hockey. :shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
        A video recording of the fight was being reviewed by police, who are expected to decide as early as Wednesday whether to put it on Youtube for everyone's entertainment

fixed
        We can always watch this in the meantime.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Tell me again, someone, why boxing is considered by some to be barbaric.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Boxing

Hockey fights

Little kid hockey fights

Comment

Working...
            X