Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To native English Speakers: Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, no-one English actually responded.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

"I interned..." would be the way to go.

Comment

"I was drafted."

If I understand correctly national service is a replacement for the military draft so you were drafted.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Er. It was voluntary.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"I participated in a VSY..."
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I served the service.
              Blah

Comment

Serve the servaaaaaants, oh no.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"I kicked the VSY's ass" is also acceptable.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Ah...if it was a "military type" of assignment, then yes - "I served" is definately the term you are looking for. The same can be said when it comes to assignments within the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, etc.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

As well as waitering.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        As well as waitering.
                        Touche' Sloww!
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                          The same can be said when it comes to assignments within the Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, etc.
                          Do you actually call it "Doctors without borders"? I've only ever heard of "Médecins sans frontières" which I presume is the same thing. Poor French language.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                            Do you actually call it "Doctors without borders"?

Comment

"Interned" if it was formal training (like an architect working for free at an achitectural firm to gain experience).

"Volunteered" if it was less formal (like a nurse working with Habitat for Humanity building houses to be a nice person).

Both verbs take the preposition "with" if you include the organization:

"I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity."

Volunteer takes "for" if you are talking about a particular role:

"I volunteered for the post of treasurer at the Bunko club."

-Native English speaker
                              Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Do you actually call it "Doctors without borders"? I've only ever heard of "Médecins sans frontières" which I presume is the same thing. Poor French language.
                                I call it Medecins sans frontieres, but most americans probably use the former ... what would you have them call it in english?
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X