Australia PM's house for "sale" in election prank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia PM's house for "sale" in election prank

CANBERRA (Reuters) - The spectacular harbourside Sydney residence of Australian Prime Minister John Howard was offered for sale on Thursday in a prank ahead of a national election tipped to sweep the veteran conservative from power.

"Impressive waterfront views! Poised on the top of a hill and the envy of many onlookers. This two-storey house is a residence of power," said a spoof advertisement on newspaper real estate Web site domain.com.au.

"Breathtaking views of Sydney's beautiful harbour, perfect place to view Sydney's fireworks," it said under a photo of Howard on the steps of Kirribilli House, the prime minister's official residence which looks out on the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.

On Thursday, Howard, 68 and in power for 11 years, delivered his final national televised speech ahead of the November 24 vote, which successive polls show Labor's Kevin Rudd is likely to win.

"Plans for A$500,000-plus (211,785 pound-plus) renovation of the dining room to re-enact the predicted Last Supper," the ad said. "Current occupant considering a move even if a new lease is signed."

Howard used the Kirribilli residence, built in 1854, to entertain foreign leaders including U.S. President George W. Bush during an Asia-Pacific summit in September.

The ad noted that the house used 28 times more water than the average household at a time when Australia was in a 10-year drought.

Michael McNamara, a spokesman for domain.com, owned by one of the nation's biggest newspapers groups, said the ad was posted in-house by an unidentified staff member.

"From our perspective it was a bit of light-hearted fun after the stress of a long election campaign. I don't think we'll be removing it any time soon," he told Reuters.

Geez I didn't even know the Aussies were having a vote. Not a single Poly thread on it?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"From our perspective it was a bit of light-hearted fun after the stress of a long election campaign. I don't think we'll be removing it any time soon," he told Reuters.
      Aussies
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
        Geez I didn't even know the Aussies were having a vote. Not a single Poly thread on it?

Not just having a vote, but being forced to vote.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The Aussie posters have failed miserably in their OT duties.

I would have loved to have talked about Mr. McGoo and his reelection chances.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's more fun talking about the Prime Minister who went missing.

Comment

Speaking of the Prime Minister going missing, it seems he may miss out even if the Coalition remain in power. John Howard may lose Bennelong if the trend shown in the first 9% of votes continues. Not that that was who Dauphin was referring to.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Elections can always be relied on to bring comedy gold. (It's probably funnier if you know the Kevin Rudd ad it parodies)
                Of the four free-to-air television channels in Australia, 3 of them are covering the election and one is replaying Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Unlike many other countries, democracy is compulsary in Australia.

Every so often, this democracy is forced upon us for a weeks (6 weeks this time!!!!!! ) where we are bombarded from every direction with election pitches (aka bull****) from various mainstream and not-so-mainstream political parties.

Places such as 'poly are a refuge from this onslaught. Thus why there has been no reference to this election.

The cheering on election night isn't so for the winner, but rather a celebration that the current election is finally over.
                  There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Alright. If voting is compulsory - How the heck did you end up with howard!!

Comment

Democracy

Comment

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Comment

Compulsory voting
                          Preferential voting system
                          "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

I would argue that the latter is the result of the former

When you have people who really couldn't be arsed to pay any attention to what the people who represent us are up to being made to vote, you end up with politicians who excel on fear campaigns and wedge politics.

What we need to do is back our compulsory voting system up with compulsory observation of state and federal politics (local doesn't matter much anyway ) - compulsory viewing of Aunty's current affairs shows like the 7.30 report and four corners would be a good start

[q=Quilue]
                            Every so often, this democracy is forced upon us for a weeks (6 weeks this time!!!!!! ) where we are bombarded from every direction with election pitches (aka bull****) from various mainstream and not-so-mainstream political parties.
                            [/q]

Yes, we need to get rid of that stupid convention where the Prime Minister picks his own election date. Fixed terms work in heaps of other countries... This time around we had a virtual 10 month pseudocampaign before Howard picked his date and the parties tried to rehash their previous announcements and somehow capture the non-politically motivated public's attention... needless to say this never really happened, it's certainly clear now most people already knew exactly how they were going to vote, even the 'swinging voters' (aka political whores).
                            Last edited by Tim_Augustus; November 25, 2007, 08:11.

Comment

Working...
                            X