Stem Cell Breakthrough Uses No Embryos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richelieu
    Hopefully this will make it a much less controversial issue and more funding can be granted.
    You know both sides are still just going to use strawmen of embryonic stem cell research to polarize the issue and "rally the troops".

Comment

Richard Doerflinger, deputy director of pro-life activities for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, called the new work "a very significant breakthrough in finding morally unproblematic alternatives to cloning. ... I think this is something that would be readily acceptable to Catholics."
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I just skimmed the Cell paper. Interesting. Though clinical applications may need to get around a) having to make the human cells express a mouse protein for retroviral recognition (could possibly trigger immune response) and b) the fact that 20% of the cells go on to become tumour cell-like (the retroviruses they use to infect the cells must be disrupting oncogenes).
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Crap! What am I going to do with all my surplus embryos?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
          X