Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns don't kill people. Americans with guns kill people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns don't kill people. Americans with guns kill people.

Until recently, I assumed that the U.S. high rate of homicide was due to the availability of guns. People have guns stashed in drawers, get liquored up, get into an argument, and BLAM, another homicide.

But with the shooting at the Finnish school, I learned that guns are also widely available in Finland. And a European told me that every Swiss adult male is a member of their military (albeit most of them in the reserves), and they keep their military weapons at home.

These means that other nations have an equivalent number of guns in their homes as we in the U.S. have. Yet their murder rates are a miniscule fraction of ours.

If we all have access to guns, if we all get liquored up, if we all get into arguments, why is it then that USAians commit homicides at such a greater rate??

And holes. Don't forget holes.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

And don't forget that shootings in Finland means Texas is ****ed up.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Maybe in those countries the prerequisites to get guns are still higher than in america.
        As you cite switzerland:
        Yes, former soldiers keep their assault guns at home, but the prerequisite is still, that you have served (and thereby were taught how to handle the gun and especially how to securely lock it away [which is AFAIK another prerequisites, i.e. that the gun is being kept locked away if it isn´t used]).

You also have to pass a medical examination prior to military service to confirm that you´re capable to serve your time in the army.

In contrast to this it seems (to me as an european) like in america every idiot is able to go into a shop and buy a gun (and might keep it where he/she wants, even if it is in reach of small children)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Texas was already ****ed before the shooting in Finland
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              And holes. Don't forget holes.
              Bullet holes? Or has this something to do with cake?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I'd like to point out, btw, that Finland actually has a pretty high murder rate when compared to other EU countries.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Re: Guns don't kill people. Americans with guns kill people.

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  If we all have access to guns, if we all get liquored up, if we all get into arguments, why is it then that USAians commit homicides at such a greater rate??
                  Gang warfare.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                    I'd like to point out, btw, that Finland actually has a pretty high murder rate when compared to other EU countries.
                    Of course, Pekka lives there.

Spec.
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

You have more gang wars, guns are much more available like Proteus said, you're an agressive bunch of people, and you have more chicken**** losers who can only feel safe with a loaded smith&wesson on their body
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Re: Guns don't kill people. Americans with guns kill people.

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        These means that other nations have an equivalent number of guns in their homes as we in the U.S. have. Yet their murder rates are a miniscule fraction of ours.
                        Try comparing the number of handguns across countries.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Right on, baby.

You know what I also find interesting? Now, that this latest school shooting took place, they have arrested some kids in Sweden for threatning to do harm, and they JUST arrested some kids in Köln (Germany)... and the German kids had ****loads of weapons adn explosives, a hit list and so forth. Those kids were going to get their rampage on, but fortunately they were caught!

I mean ****... kids get inspiration from these things. Before, it never occured to them, to the problem kids. Now, they get an idea that hey, I can do that too. It's a real problem of copy cats always just after some big incident. With any bad luck, they might have bunch of kids dead in Germany right now, they were serious as cancer too.

They ALL seem to be idolizing the Columbine thingie. Like everyone has their idols there, not the Virginia Tech *******, but the Columbine ones. Ohh, guess who made it more popular than ever? That's right, Michael Moore. Irony is a ***** Too bad the consequences are real. I'm not saying it's the fault of Moore, I'm saying giving large international exposure is an extra motivation for these kids, they prepare media packages, I mean they want to be known and infamous. And that's exactly what they will be when they carry out their deeds, so in a way how do you even combat that? It's pretty sick to know that there's always bunch of kids with large stash of weapons that are ready to kill and in fact plan to do so. At all moments, in Europe and in the US at least.

Of course the odds are that you never get hurt from these but it has a psychological effect... plus it's not exactly cool to get casualties from these kind of things. And the last really big shooting was in fact in Germany.

I think it's fair to realize that these crazy ones will get their hands on guns no matter high tight the laws are. They simply don't care, they want the guns, they'll get them either legally or illegally and oh yes, it might be even easier to get them illegally so it's not even an issue when it comes to these school shootings.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                          X