• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation of Church and estate

Pastor's Wife: Church Is a Divorce Asset
    Email this Story

Nov 16, 5:25 PM (ET)

MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) - The estranged wife of a pastor claims her husband blended his professional and personal finances so thoroughly that his church should be counted as an asset in their divorce.

A judge agreed in a decision published this week to hear arguments on the claim, and he ordered a financial appraisal of the church. Lawyers said it could represent the first time anyone in New York state has tried to treat a religious institution as a marital asset.

The wife argues that her husband of 31 years used his Brooklyn church as a "personal piggy bank," setting his own income, spending the congregation's tithes as he pleased and running a catering business from the building, according to the decision by state Supreme Court Judge Arthur M. Diamond. The couple's names were redacted from the decision.

The wife said $50,000 of the couple's money went into starting the church, and that the church property is partly hers.

"That church is no different than any other business he might have opened," said the wife's lawyer, Robert Pollack.

The pastor maintains he is simply a church employee, and the institution's funds should not be considered his, according to Diamond's decision.

"My client can't own the church," said the minister's lawyer, Eleanor Gery.

A message left at the church was not immediately returned early Friday.

So is the Vatican going to have to pay allimony as well?

link
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Where does it say he is Catholic?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Wouldn't mind if this would be common law practice :

"That church is no different than any other business he might have opened," said the wife's lawyer, Robert Pollack.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
        Wouldn't mind if this would be common law practice :
        We could finally get the church to pay some of it's share of taxes.
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

As Catholic priests can not marry, my guess is the Vatican will not be involved in this case.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

the institution's funds should not be considered his
            Except when he's spending it

Comment

SO is it true that she also wants to get a certain percentage of his parishioners?

After all they, too, wouldn´t be his sheep without the aforementioned investment of 50k $ and therefore should, as well as the church furniture, be part of the divorce suit

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                SO is it true that she also wants to get a certain percentage of his parishioners?
                Maybe she's already 'had' them.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The wife said $50,000 of the couple's money went into starting the church
                  how do you "start a church" (e.g. a "mainstream" christian one)? what kind of pastor is this guy really?
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/internat.../131265/Pastor's-wife.htm
                    Grace Christian Church in Brooklyn

apparently it's a Baptist church.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      ...how do you "start a church" (e.g. a "mainstream" christian one)?...
                      Considering your avatar, this is a really scary question.

Comment

didnt Cartman run a church or something at some point?

Comment

Yes, a heathen protestant one.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X