Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanity License Plates

RICHMOND, Va. - URSOVAIN Virginia.

You, too, New Hampshire, Illinois, Nevada and Montana.

A state-by-state survey of the popularity of vanity license plates has found that car and truck owners in Virginia are the vainest of them all.

Out of the 9.3 million personalized plates on the roads of America, about one in 10 are in Virginia, according to rankings provided to The Associated Press by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

That's 16 per cent of the plates issued by Virginia. New Hampshire came in second with nearly 14 per cent. Illinois had about 13.4 per cent, but that amounted to nearly 1.3 million plates, the most of any state.

"If you've got 9.3 million people across the U.S. sporting vanity plates, you've got a cultural phenomenon," AAMVA spokesman Jason King said.

Texas had the fewest, with only about a half per cent of drivers personalizing their plates.

Kathy Carmichael drives around with the plate COFENUT, although she is down from eight to 10 cups of java a day to just three.

"It's a personality thing," said Carmichael, 58, a real state agent in Mechanicsville. "You get to know something about the person in front of you or who passes you."

Stefan Lonce calls it "minimalist poetry in motion" - telling a story in eight or fewer characters.

Lonce - author of the upcoming book "LCNS2ROM-License to Roam: Vanity Plates and the Stories they Tell" - worked with AAMVA to survey vehicle licensing agencies in each state.

"I think a lot of people have stories to tell and they really want pieces of those stories out there," said Lonce, who admits he initially thought it was silly for people to spend extra money to personalize their license plates.

Ion Bogdan Vasi, an assistant sociology professor at Columbia University, calls people who personalize their plates "the narcissistic-materialist poets of the iGeneration."

"Most people buy personalized plates simply because they want to tell the world they are special," Vasi said in an e-mail. "They wrote an ode to themselves and they want to share it with everybody on the highway."

Some plates are cryptic, like Brittany Diaz' EN PWANT. It's a reminder of the summer when she studied ballet in New York and her French teacher pronounced the "en pointe" style of dance as "en pwant."

"Most ballerinas get it, and those who don't dance I figured would be entertained because pwant is just a funny thing to say," said Diaz, 17, of Midlothian.

Others are personal, like those of Ally and Rudy Masry of Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. She donated a kidney to her husband in 2003, so her car has the tag DONOR and his reads DONEE.

Some offer quirky takes on professions, like EYEMAN and 2THDR. BYTE1 reflects the computer science degree held by Vonn Campbell of Greenville, S.C., but he also chose it "to provide a somewhat abrasive message to those individuals who follow too closely."

But why does Virginia have so many personalized plates?

"It's only $10. You can do it online with little effort. You can get a new one every month if you wanted to," said Benjamin Mace, a Virginia Beach Web designer who started CoolPl8z.com, where people post pictures of their vanity plates.

However, some other states are just as cheap. And Illinois has the largest total even though it charges $78 per year.

Do you have vanity plates? If so, what does your license plate say...

Mine are humble and modest government issue.

Kramer of course was ASSMAN
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

I see so many vanity license plates here. In other places I have lived, they were a rarity. I thought that a new fad had swept the nation.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

My sister has AUROR on her plate.

Comment

I always knew Illinois had a lot of vanity plates. I always noticed the difference when I visited from Michigan.

My plate displays the name of my car, THABOAT, a big ol' 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis. It is the only car I've ever owned, I've had it since I was 16 (ten years btw). I love it to death and has been through many adventures.

This is an old pic, from high school. The car doesn't look quite as nice anymore, and most of those stickers are gone (and replaced with other ones). And sadly, that license plate is now on my wall. Michigan is phasing out its old white text, blue plates this year and making everyone get blue text, white plates ones. *sigh*
        Attached Files
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm thinking of joining the vain minority with SlwwHnd.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Just don't put your real name on the plate.
            Or your password.

I don't have a vanity plate, never will. But I do enjoy seeing clever ones.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

WTFEVNTS
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

7-character limit, LS.

WTFPKKA
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

WTFPTM
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: Vanity License Plates

Originally posted by Wezil

Kramer of course was ASSMAN
                    Didn't he borrow ASSMAN's car? Then people started calling him ASSMAN.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Re: Re: Vanity License Plates

Originally posted by Lord Avalon

Didn't he borrow ASSMAN's car? Then people started calling him ASSMAN.
                      The license bureau mixed up their plates, and they each got the wrong plate, thus people called Kramer the ASSMAN
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Around here there's not many who has such special license plates... you pretty much never see any of those (maybe a few times a year, unless you know someone who has one)
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I don't think you can get a license plate with text here in Bulgaria. So the vanity plates here are 8888 or 1111 or something similar.
                          I would like to get 1337 once I get a car. I hope it will be cheap because it should not be considered to be "valuable" combination.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

RICHMOND, Va. - URSOVAIN Virginia.

"It's only $10. You can do it online with little effort. You can get a new one every month if you wanted to," said Benjamin Mace, a Virginia Beach Web designer who started CoolPl8z.com, where people post pictures of their vanity plates.

However, some other states are just as cheap. And Illinois has the largest total even though it charges $78 per year.

A quick search for the price here in Denmark revealed $1221 for 8 years

No wonder you never see any around
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I want KR11LER but I need to get a car first. And a driving license.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X