ATTENTION ATTENTION: Mandatory testicle recall now in effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTENTION ATTENTION: Mandatory testicle recall now in effect

TOUGH new rape laws which make it clear being drunk does not constitute consent have been condemned by barristers, who insist: "It will turn our sons into criminals."

The NSW Bar Associations reckons the "No means no" law goes too far and will lobby Upper House members to vote against it when it is up for debate next week.

The law will define the meaning of consent for the first time, making it clear that being drunk or under the influence of drugs does not mean consent has been given.

It will also introduce an "objective fault test", meaning a man can no longer use the defence that he thought he had consent if the circumstances appear unreasonable.

"It will turn our sons into criminals," new Bar Association president Anna Katzmann SC said yesterday.

"For years women have been insisting 'No' means 'No'. What troubles us about this new legislation is that it introduces a new regime where 'Yes' may mean 'No'."

Ms Katzmann gave the example of a woman on a first date who might not want to have sex but after both she and the man had drunk too much said "Yes".

The next day she feels guilty and tells her mother, who goes to the police.

"That would be rape under the new laws," Ms Katzmann said. "The fact that he was drunk cannot be taken into account. The fact that she was drunk is no excuse for him.

Chair of the Bar Association's criminal law committee Stephen Odgers SC said the law made sexual assault a crime of negligence.

"The stupid, the negligent, the intoxicated, the crazy will be treated as if they are the same as the true rapist, who knows there is no consent to sexual intercourse," Mr Odgers said.

Opposition attorney general, former Crown prosecutor Greg Smith, said the Attorney-General John Hatzistergos needed to spell out the law better.

Mr Hatzistergos said the introduction of an objective fault test was canvassed during the State Government's exhaustive consultation process and had wide support, including police and the Rape Crisis Centre.

"Although Mr Odgers might like to draw a distinction between the stupid or drunk rapist and normal rapists, for rape victims they're categories that don't matter," he said.

"If a person is drunk it does not automatically mean that consent can't be given. What it means is that the onus is on the other person, usually a man, to show he had reasonable grounds to believe the woman had consented.

"It's difficult to take the Bar Association seriously on this matter when, in their own submission, they concluded that just because a woman was asleep or unconscious (it) doesn't negate consent."

Earlier this year The Daily Telegraph launched the Justice For Women Now campaign to give sexual assault victims equal justice and to encourage more women to report assaults.

Craptastic.

How many guys will get sued after a stupid **** wakes up in the morning and decides she made a mistake.

Dont drink and drive, I agree...
    But dont drink and ****....Please...

Rape is someone that gets FORCED to do something. When the girl goes down on you, its her problem. If shes uncouncious, thats another matter.

Let in the gold diggers.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

goodgrief. it should only be rape if they're like suuuuuper drunk.

Comment

It does sound a bit off, but then to be fair:

"It's difficult to take the Bar Association seriously on this matter when, in their own submission, they concluded that just because a woman was asleep or unconscious (it) doesn't negate consent."
        I'd have to agree...

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
          goodgrief. it should only be rape if they're like suuuuuper drunk.
          Unconcious. No less imo.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Taking advantage of drunk women
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Taking advantage of drunk women
              Sure, Mister Clubmyster.

Originally posted by LordShiva
              Taking advantage of unconcious drunk women
              Fixed.

Women take advantage of drunk men all the time, but not for sex, how is that different? When a women is drunk, she is more willing, and so is a man. Thats why sometimes you end up ****ing something you never thought you would if you were sober. Alcohol alters judgement, so where will they draw the line?

And dont even try to sound all nice, when you hit the clubs, and a lady you find cute is slightly drunk and wants some, you got for it. I know you do.

Spec.

Comment

Another reason not to have sex.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                  Another reason not to have sex.
                  Shoot me now. Please.

Spec.

Comment

The word "testicles" in the thread title is disturbing. Where's our prude moderator when we need him?

Surely "nuts" or "ballsack" is more acceptable?
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If a person is drunk it does not automatically mean that consent can't be given. What it means is that the onus is on the other person, usually a man, to show he had reasonable grounds to believe the woman had consented.

That seems fair. Apparently the bar association is puffing this up. I assume that the law was formed for those people who get the woman REALLY rip-roaring drunk, so they can have sex with her. Not when they are both drinking a little and fall into bed.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Another reason not to get drunk.
                        Fixed.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Another reason not to get drunk.
                          Shoot me now, please.

Spec.

Comment

I will never end up in a situation where I...

end up ****ing something you never thought you would if you were sober.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              I will never end up in a situation where I...

end up ****ing something you never thought you would if you were sober.
                              Yea, "something" is not the right word. "Someone" is more appropriate.

Like a girl that has a crush on you, but you dont feel that way about her....but when drunk, its different...and in your head you suddenly say: Why not?

The problem is, the next day, the hang-over is the least of your problems. :forwnnod:

But later on, you laugh at these situations.

Spec.

Comment

Working...
                              X