Computational Chemistry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computational Chemistry...

...is a complete and utter waste of my mother****ing time. I've got around about half an our before I can get my results back from this ****ty PC. Anyone got an idea about what I should do?
    Play Pool (50 metres away)
    0.00%
    Buy Alcohol (10 metres away)
    28.57%
    Pull a Tuberski (0 metres away, might annoy the mods)
    14.29%
    Go to sleep for a bit (slouch in chair/over keyboard)
    42.86%
    Eat a Banana (err...)
    14.29%
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

**** it I'm going to the bar.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The key to doing proper science, young Krill, is finding every single chance possible to go do something else. For example, here's how I spent a day recently:

Go into the lab. Run some PCR stuff on a gel, hour long coffee break. Do a sequence alignment, check facebook. Print off some papers, gossip for 20 minutes at printer. Digest PCR products to remove methylated DNA, another hour long coffee break. More stuff on a gel but run it at half voltage, take long lunch. Seminar, sit at back passing notes to workmate about weekend plans. Talk to supervisor over computer screen so he can't see me writing long, rambling email to my mate. Another coffee break. During a transformation, find out which lab has a birthday so I can steal some cake as my pudding. Plate out bacteria, go home.

This profession runs on people getting the best work to coffee ratio possible.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Optimize your algorithms or buy a stronger PC. You can get a bargain right here on Apolyton! (Aeson I'll want a commission...)

Comment

I think it's best beer:work ratio in undergrads though

Comment

I don't think I can get Aesons PC past customs

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
              This profession runs on people getting the best work to coffee ratio possible.

Is that a government funded job?

Comment

Here's the one thing I learnt going from undergrad to postgrad:

You will forget every single useful bit of information you've spent the last three years learning over the summer.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

For me it was a couple years in... but yeah.

But I do think that those who are successful are the ones who don't spend lots of time doing other stuff. Like there is still 'waiting' times, but instead of not doing useful stuff like I (and it sounds like you) do, they go and do sometihng else that needs done or read a journal article, or plan the next experiment.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Is that a government funded job?
                    Its a Medical Research Council funded Ph.D. The MRC itself gets its funding from Parliament and what it earns itself in partnership with industry turning research into technological applications.

So yeah, I'm government funded. I've never claimed to be a productive member of the economy but how many office workers are working on a cure for cancer*?

*Just a question, cause I'm not so I bloody well hope someone is.
                    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                      I don't think I can get Aesons PC past customs
                      How about if I bake it into a cake?

(Plus it's more of a gaming computer... for computational stuff, you're better off with a Quad Core and don't really need a monster of a graphics card. But frosting is always good.)

Comment

And I'm not using my PC which is unfortunate. This PC is in my college computer lab (which is 2 metres from my college bar). My PC would have finished by now...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                          For me it was a couple years in... but yeah.

But I do think that those who are successful are the ones who don't spend lots of time doing other stuff. Like there is still 'waiting' times, but instead of not doing useful stuff like I (and it sounds like you) do, they go and do sometihng else that needs done or read a journal article, or plan the next experiment.

JM
                          I'm cherishing my freetime at the moment since I know in a few months I'm going to be locked away in the tissue culture labs, spending my entire day knocking down one gene just so I can add my mutant version back in.

I get to make glow-in-the-dark viruses. How cool is that?

The primers I ordered for my mutations came today. Its an impressive feeling you get when you see months of work arrive in a small envelope.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Yeah, but I use my PC for gaming as well. Well, during the holidays anyway. Or used to, anyway...god, since when did I turn into a productive member of society?

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

I'm cherishing my freetime at the moment since I know in a few months I'm going to be locked away in the tissue culture labs, spending my entire day knocking down one gene just so I can add my mutant version back in.

I get to make glow-in-the-dark viruses. How cool is that?

The primers I ordered for my mutations came today. Its an impressive feeling you get when you see months of work arrive in a small envelope.
                              It's even better when someone snorts the white powder out of the unnamed envelope...

Comment

Working...
                              X