No announcement yet.

Texan sets record with 87 rattlers in bathtub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like someone dug a cave at the base of the rock.

I was about a mile from the NW rim of Horseshoe Canyon about 60 miles south of Green River and maybe 30 miles NW of the confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers. There was a ranger station about 10 miles further south of me and a dirt road that headed west to a paved highway 20 miles away.

I found this domed rock about a mile west of the first entry point for the Canyon that had all these lines running over it, little ridges maybe 3-6 mm high and curved in long arcs. The rock was 8-10 ft wide and 18-22 ft long and maybe 4 ft high and a bunch of the lines met at a sight hole near the top of the rock on the left, the hole lined up on the SE just above the horizon and appeared to be used for lining up a celestial object.

Two deep parallel grooves were cut across the rock pointing south. I stood behind the rock looking south along the grooves and didn't notice anything unusual, then I looked thru binoculars. And WOW, I could see a line across the valley stretching about a mile to the southern horizon. It was like somebody had walked straight south from the rock so much a path was beaten into the ground but there was no path that I could see. Even vegetation was different, the coloring enhanced the image of a line somehow. I have pictures of the rock but dont know how to upload them, but you cant see the line extending south from the rock. It only shows up with telescopic vision.

I'd love to know what they were looking at thru the rock and how and why the terrain hides that line going south. I'm reminded of the satellite imagery of the Chaco complex to the SE, ancient trails beaten into the landscape heading in different directions but undetected at ground level.

I could spend a year out there easy looking at stuff

Comment

Hey Dis, is that Slow's first picture from a different angle? The one you got there is the angle from that 3rd Indy movie (Last Crusade?)

Comment

it's not slow's picture, there are quite a few arches in southeastern utah, most in Arches national park.

I think it's called double arch, but it's been a while since I've been there, don't remember all the names.
        Attached Files

Comment

I like this picture, it shows how wild and untouched Canyonlands is (the above pics are of Arches).
          Attached Files

Comment

this one is pretty cool as well
            Attached Files

Comment

nah, doesn't look the same as Slows pic

Comment

It looks like wood that's bee eaten by insects. I think I'll have a drink.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

mmm, more pics. I love taking pics. I need to go on vacation again, doing nothing all day is hard work.
                  Attached Files

Comment

last one. This one is delicate arch I'm pretty sure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

that 2nd one is really cool, using a magnifier you can see faint lines on the plateau to the right. Just to the right of the wiggly dirt road is a straight line that turns to the right about 45 degrees and ends at the canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                        Hey Slow, got more? That first one looks like the arch they used in the Indy Jones movie where he's a kid who swipes Coronados cross from the grave looters. But I swear that 2nd looks familiar. I saw something just like it out west of Moab about 60 miles and maybe 50 SW of Green River. I'm sure you weren't way out there, so where did you snap the 2nd photo?
                        Those are two Playful took from the car. I'll have to look and see about others.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                        X