India + girl born with 8 limbs = awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Oh go blow smoke up someone else's ass. I'm expending all my tears for the otherwise healthy children we're killing in Iraq and Afghanistan. And it isn't like anyone's wishing death upon her.
    That's such a lame attempt at rationalization.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What was scary was to read that her parents and other village people considered her to be some form of reincarnation of a deity...
      Not up on my Indian gods but I think Shiva is sometimes depicted with extra limbs

Comment

wow, this is a case of conjoined twins with one failing to develop, so this little girl has the headless corpse of her sister attached to her hip.

Comment

That's who numbnuts Maniac posted.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Shiva
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

How DARE you make light of this, LS!
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I'm glad you people find it so amusing. What jackasses.
                I'm with Drosedars.
                Hypocrit!
                Shiva/Nataraja
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                  Az thinks her condition (which could kill her) is awesome. Sounds like he is.
                  yep
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

if you can't laugh at deformed children, what can you laugh at?
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                      I've often thought I could use an extra set of arms. I haven't much use for a spare set of legs however.
                      Well, you could kick more ass.

And standing room only would be no problem.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Varwnos
                        What was scary was to read that her parents and other village people considered her to be some form of reincarnation of a deity...
                        Actually, all in all I'd say it's a good thing. If this little girl had been born in, say, Haiti, the parents would have thought she was a sign of voodoo and abandoned or killed her. Ditto for many parts of Africa, I think. Better excessive respect for the deformed or disabled than throwing rocks at them.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Actually, all in all I'd say it's a good thing. If this little girl had been born in, say, Haiti, the parents would have thought she was a sign of voodoo and abandoned or killed her. Ditto for many parts of Africa, I think. Better excessive respect for the deformed or disabled than throwing rocks at them.
                          True, however it would have been worse for her if they thought that she should stay in this condition.

Comment

An update:

BANGALORE, India - Doctors in India completed a grueling 24-hour operation Wednesday on a girl born with four arms and four legs, and surgeons said the 2-year-old - revered by many as a reincarnated goddess - has a chance at a normal life.

The surgery went "wonderfully well," said Dr. Sharan Patil who led a team of more than 30 surgeons at a hospital in the southern city of Bangalore that performed the marathon procedure to remove the child's extra limbs, salvage her organs and rebuild her pelvis area.

Doctors say the operation will give Lakshmi, a girl from rural northern India, a chance to start life again after two years in which her parents hid her from deeply superstitious villagers - who alternately revered her as a Hindu deity and tried to buy her for a circus.

"This girl can now lead as good a life as anyone else," Patil said.

Lakshmi was born joined at the pelvis to a "parasitic twin" that stopped developing in the mother's womb. The surviving fetus absorbed the limbs, kidneys and some other body parts of the undeveloped fetus.

"This is a very rare occurrence," said pediatric surgeon Dr. Doug Miniati at the University of California, San Francisco.

Miniati, who was not involved in the surgery, said it was extremely complicated but her chances of survival were greater because she had not been joined with the other fetus at the heart or brain.

The doctors worked through the night to remove the extra limbs and organs. By midnight, a team of neurologists had separated the fused spines while orthopedic surgeons removed most of the "parasite," carefully identifying which organs and internal structures belonged to the girl, Patil said.

Then began the difficult job of reconstructing the girl's lower body.

The operation included transplanting a good kidney into Lakshmi from the twin. The team also used tissue from the twin to help rebuild the pelvic area, one of the most complicated parts of the surgery, said Patil.

"We were able to bring the pelvic bones together successfully, which takes away the need for another procedure," Patil said.

However, Lakshmi will need more treatment and possible surgery for clubbed feet before she will be able to walk, he added.

Lakshmi's parents, who were expected to see the girl later Wednesday, said they were very relieved.

"It will be great to see our daughter have a normal body," her father Shambhu, who only goes by one name, told reporters. "We were worried for her future."

Children born with deformities in deeply traditional rural parts of India, like Lakshmi's remote village in the northern state of Bihar, are often viewed as reincarnated gods.

The young girl is no different - she is named after the four-armed Hindu goddess of wealth.

"Everybody considers her a goddess at our village," said her father.

However, some wanted to make money from Lakshmi. Her parents said they kept her in hiding after a circus apparently tried to buy her.

Doctors at Sparsh Hospital in Bangalore estimated the surgery cost US$625,000, but they did it for free because the girl's family could not afford it.

"We are very grateful to all the doctors for seeing our plight and deciding to help us," Shambhu said.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Doctors at Sparsh Hospital in Bangalore estimated the surgery cost US$625,000, but they did it for free because the girl's family could not afford it.

I call BS on the 625 grand.
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Yeah, should be more...
                                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X