Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone here read this story?

The Last Question by Isaac Asimov

Asimov makes a good point. It implys the evolving universes sheme wich allows the presence of a creator of the universe while not allowing a "god".
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

"Let there be light" - yeah, that's a very good story. Asimov has a knack for this philosphical type of stories.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It was indeed, I just read it. A friend recommended it years ago... it poped into my mind so I sought it up on the internet.

Asimov did undersand though that in the end only philosphical questions would remain to be answered.

BTW It gets you thinking; what if the entitiy has a choice about the kind of universe it creates... since I don't see the point in creating a universe that's identical to the previous one. By that I mean the natural laws and not the exact set up.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I am vaguely reminding a story with pretty much the opposite idea - something about an almost accidental, clueless creator. One that creates but doesn't really know what, how and why...

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          I am vaguely reminding a story with pretty much the opposite idea - something about an almost accidental, clueless creator. One that creates but doesn't really know what, how and why...

Look at our universe, now that makes perfect sense!

A name would be nice, I happen to recal one similar by Stanislav Lem.

Comment

I've no idea, it's a very vague memory. An interesting thought at any rate.

Comment

It's a good story, but like a lot of Asimov stories, it's kind of just an essay with dialogue. It's a very neat idea, but there's little in the way of plot or characterization or conflict...
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                It's a good story, but like a lot of Asimov stories, it's kind of just an essay with dialogue. It's a very neat idea, but there's little in the way of plot or characterization or conflict...
                True I suppose,but the important thing about asimov is that he was one of the first people who tought in this fashion, the execution, the writing style are alwaysof secondary concern when it comes to him. The idea behind the stories is what sets him apart.

Comment

Was that the one where humans try to reverse entropy?

that was a good one
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                    True I suppose,but the important thing about asimov is that he was one of the first people who tought in this fashion, the execution, the writing style are alwaysof secondary concern when it comes to him. The idea behind the stories is what sets him apart.
                    Oh, I agree with you. I love Asimov and can reread the Foundation stories over and over, but there are definitely more artful writers out there.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      Was that the one where humans try to reverse entropy?

that was a good one
                      Yup

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Oh, I agree with you. I love Asimov and can reread the Foundation stories over and over, but there are definitely more artful writers out there.
                        Yes, in these times there are more artful writers that also write about deep subjects. But classics have a certain innate value...

Comment

I think Asimov has stories with actual good writing - such as most of his robot short stories. They tend to have humour or good characters or a good emotional side - to me, at least. Asimov indeed may not be the most "artful" writer but the philosophical qualities of his works more than make up for it IMO.

Comment

Personally, I don't really read much for art's sake, I want good stories, leave out the fluff. That's probably the core of American Literature since the start of the 20th century.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I agree, but there are some people who enjoy craftsmanship in literature

Comment

Working...
                              X