Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London is sinking

The fake London, not the real one.

So far I'm safe but I'll let you know if I need a rope.

LONDON, Ont. - A member of Parliament for London, Ont., is demanding more money for municipalities after a huge sinkhole opened up in the city's downtown core this week.

Irene Mathyssen, who represents London-Fanshawe, has written an open letter to the prime minister asking for a piece of the federal surplus.

A water main at least 60 years old gave out in the city's downtown core Wednesday and left a sinkhole the size and depth of a backyard swimming pool.

Mathyssen says the government gave its economic update the same day, including small tax breaks.

She says the government can obviously afford to give municipalities more money to repair and update crumbling infrastructure.

London Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best and the rest of the Big City Mayors Caucus have been pushing the federal government to give them one cent of the GST for infrastructure problems.
    Attached Files
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

The real London is sinking too. Just not so noticeably!
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It happened at one of the busiest intersections in the downtown core (city of 350-400K). Definitely not a minor inconvenience.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

not as much as mexico city.

Comment

during the construction of the athens metro there was a now famous video of a news stand disappearing from into a gigantic hole
          too bad there wasnt any youtube at the time....
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
            It happened at one of the busiest intersections in the downtown core (city of 350-400K). Definitely not a minor inconvenience.
            At least it wasn't a steam pipe explosion like New York City had this summer.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
            X