Paul Tibbets is dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[nitpicking mode]
    Paul Tibbets actually didn't drop the bomb - it was Tom Ferebee that pulled the trigger.
    [/nitpicking mode]
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

While I have heard of the Bomb, I have never heard of Paul Tibbets. Was he well known in the US, only for flying a plane with the first a-bomb, or did he do something more?
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
        While I have heard of the Bomb, I have never heard of Paul Tibbets. Was he well known in the US, only for flying a plane with the first a-bomb, or did he do something more?
        This sounds much like "I know the yanks landed on the moon, but who the hell is Neil Armstrong".
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Really? You never heard of him? He rode on top the atomic bomb as it descended to Nagasaki, jumped into a sewer manhole just before detonation, and singlehandedly fought off irradiated mutants in a successful attempt to get back to his command post.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

This sounds much like "I know the yanks landed on the moon, but who the hell is Neil Armstrong".

No, Neil is allright, but not anyplace have I seen the crew get much focus except in a BBC documentary I saw a long time ago. No books, no mags, or anything. I'm sure his name has been mentioned some places, but never have he or any other on the plane got much attention,
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

No, Neil is allright, but not anyplace have I seen the crew get much focus except in a BBC documentary I saw a long time ago. No books, no mags, or anything. I'm sure his name has been mentioned some places, but never have he or any other on the plane got much attention,

Don't worry, you are just young - I have 25 more years of reading than you do

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Sure, old man.

It's way more interesting topics in history than WW2 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV

Really? You never heard of him? He rode on top the atomic bomb as it descended to Nagasaki, jumped into a sewer manhole just before detonation, and singlehandedly fought off irradiated mutants in a successful attempt to get back to his command post.
                  Tibbets

Unbelievable!

Comment

I didn't know the guys name. Though I did know it at one time, but forgot. Had to be reminded what he did. All I remember is the Enola gay.

Comment

Quick question: Did gay mean the same in English during the war and if so, where did the Conservatives go?

Comment

Sure, old man.

It's way more interesting topics in history than WW2 anyway.
                        Well, try to imagine the number of books and topics that you can read up in 25 years

In my experience, the real problem is to remember where you read something.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Quick question: Did gay mean the same in English during the war and if so, where did the Conservatives go?
                          Don't think so - at least not in this case

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Tell me about it. I've had the problem since way back in my childhood. I've been a reader since I learned to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                              What did he die of? I'd be terribly interested to know the sort of radiation dosage the guy who was effectively at ground zero got.
                              He was not effectively at ground zero (also it might be better to call it the hypocenter as the bomb was detonated in the air).
                              There was a 43-second (another source says 57 secs) delay between the dropping and the detonation, by which time, the plane was 17 kms away.

Thousands of people (namely the citizens of Hiroshima that survived) were significantly closer to "ground zero".

This is about radiation levels in Nagasaki:

"Surveys disclosed that severe radiation injury occurred to all exposed persons within a radius of one kilometer. Serious to moderate radiation injury occurred between one and two kilometers. Persons within two to four kilometers suffered slight radiation effects."

See also:

Even if they had been much closer, the fact that they were getting away really fast would have kept absorption levels low.

All in all the pilots suffered negligible radiation exposure (although the plane was hit by the shockwave).
                              Last edited by Lul Thyme; November 1, 2007, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                                What did he die of? I'd be terribly interested to know the sort of radiation dosage the guy who was effectively at ground zero got.
                                He was 92 when he died. I think it's pretty safe to say any radiation he might have been exposed to had little effect on his lifespan.
                                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                                X