Student supressed by goose stepping police gets no ADDITIONAL charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student supressed by goose stepping police gets no ADDITIONAL charges

He did nothing wrong, but apparently if the police don't like what you said, your now resisting arrest and criminally liable, even though they had no cause to arrest you to begin with... we all saw the video, he did not resist arrest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071030/...tudent_tasered;_ylt=AoyCVSQQXAnjq1wpbmRT1wqs0NUE

Cervone said charges of resisting an officer without violence and interfering with a school function would be dismissed if Meyer complied.

Lawyer: No charges for Tasered student By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 9 minutes ago

ORLANDO, Fla. - A University of Florida student who was shocked with a Taser after persistently questioning Sen. John Kerry will avoid criminal charges by apologizing and complying with terms of a voluntary 18-month probation, authorities said Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Meyer, 21, yelled "Don't Tase me, bro!" as he scuffled with officers during the campus speech last month. In letters to the university, its president and the campus police department, he apologized, attorney Robert Griscti said.

"I made the decision to supersede the rules, and for that I apologize," Meyer wrote. "I should have acted calmer and obeyed the directives of the officers. If I had, none of the subsequent issues would ever have arisen."

State Attorney William Cervone said Meyer agreed to conduct himself "in a fashion that demonstrates his ability to behave appropriately and without violating the law" during 18 months of probation.

"If he is successful in doing so, the case against him will be closed without formal court action," Cervone said in a statement.

Cervone said charges of resisting an officer without violence and interfering with a school function would be dismissed if Meyer complied. University police had recommended he be charged with resisting arrest with violence, a felony, and disturbing the peace and interfering with school administrative functions, a misdemeanor.

Meyer demanded a chance to question the former Democratic presidential candidate about the 2004 election and his and President Bush's alleged involvement in the secret Skull and Bones society when they were students at Yale University in the 1960s.

Officers rushed Meyer after he kept shouting questions, finally shocking him in a scuffle captured in at least 19 video clips. Segments distributed online won widespread attention.

Police said Meyer's tone changed when he was placed in a patrol car, where he was recorded telling the officers they didn't do anything wrong, according to a report from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The officers involved returned to work last week after the FDLE determined it was an appropriate use of force.

In his letters, Meyer denied allegations he intended to cause a scene.

"I'm so sorry that I lost my control in that auditorium," he wrote. "I went there to ask an important question. The question of voter disenfranchisement in America cuts to the heart of our democracy, and my failure to act calmly resulted in this important town forum ending without the discourse intended. For that, I am truly sorry."

Meyer, a communications major, said he was taking a leave of absence but would return to school in January.

"I am a far more reasoned individual than I was a short while ago, and the reasoned response of the university has helped me a great deal," Meyer wrote.

Re: Student supressed by goose stepping police gets no ADDITIONAL charges

Originally posted by Vesayen
    He did nothing wrong, but apparently if the police don't like what you said, your now resisting arrest and criminally liable, even though they had no cause to arrest you to begin with... we all saw the video, he did not resist arrest.
    It looked to me very much as though he was resisting arrest. I wasn't aware that wrongful arrest made the arrestee entitled to resist it.

He may not have broken a law, but he did something wrong imo. He was a whiny little bítch drama-queen of an attention whore shouting "Help, help, I'm being repressed" for the cameras.

Comment

So the guy admits he escalated the situation, and Vesayen argues with him about it. What a lovely thread.

Comment

Vesayen lives in his own little halluinagentic world.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          So the guy admits he escalated the situation, and Vesayen argues with him about it. What a lovely thread.
          Personally I think taser boy was an idiot to make such an admission.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Find one thing that doesn't make him look like an idiot, besides standing next to Vesayen, that is.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ima chargin mah tazer!

Comment

It is a false confession. He was clearly intimidated by the threat of unjust punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                  Personally I think taser boy was an idiot to make such an admission.
                  He's already got his spotlight he so depserately seemed to want. Now he gets a deal so he doesn't have to face any real consequences.

You'd really turn down a "get out of jail free card" and go to court for a felony charge?

Comment

What he did was not a crime. He spoke up at a question and answer session, after the time for questions ended.

This may break the rules of the event but it is not criminal.

Comment

You'd really turn down a "get out of jail free card" and go to court for a felony charge?
                      If not guilty yes.

I understand the motivation to take the deal however. After his statement he hasn't much choice (unless it can be ruled inadmissible).
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                        It is a false confession. He was clearly intimidated by the threat of unjust punishment.
                        It most likely is a false confession.

But if it was, he was clearly intimidated by having his actions judged fairly by a court of law. I'd be scared of that too if I had resisted arrest and there were multiple cameras trained on me the whole time.

Comment

"Don't tase me, bro!"
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                            If not guilty yes.
                            Of course... So he must think he was guilty. I agree.

Comment

Of course... So he must think he was guilty. I agree.
                              His statement sure isn't helpful. Hence my original comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X