No announcement yet.

Do you like golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But oh well. I've kind of fallen for it. Not only do I find it very interesting, I find it exciting. I find it very complicated, the techniques are very .... it's a game you can learn all your life.
    It is...the ultimate game... No other sport comes close to the complexity and mental challenge but its still physically within reach of almost anyone who will take the time to learn.

Well, I do love foosball too

Pekka, go spend $30 on a lesson before playing (too much), they should be able to get you out of any swing flaws that could develop into nasty habits. Trust me, its my one regret about golf...

Comment

A complete waste of space. Not that I have any hard figures, but the square meters per golfer ratio must be worse than for any other sport or recreational activity known to mankind.
      Boating? There must be several million people in this country who play golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

What in particular is aesthetically wrong with it? I suppose a variety of colors would have helped, but otherwise it looks like many mid-1980's sports cars and I also think the gull-wing doors were very innovative for the time.

Personally, I think company execs rang the death knell when they opted for a fuel-injected V6 instead of the Wankel rotary engine in the original specs. Sacrificing power for fuel efficiency doesn't make sense within the sport class.
        uhh why did you italicize 'aesthetically'?
        anyway, it's just not my style. i guess i'm glad i wasn't around in the mid 80s to see these common sports cars. it's not smooth. cars should look smooth.

and the headlights? eww.

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
          uhh why did you italicize 'aesthetically'?
          Why, do italics make you nervous?

My only point was that your comment before focused too much on minor aesthetic problems, when really it was mechanical deficiencies and managerial incompetence that led to the Titleist's demise. So much lost potential...
          Unbelievable!

Comment

I like playing golf. That said:

Originally posted by b etor
            it's so boring to watch.
            QFT
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I disagree, watching Tiger on TV is grrrrreat. I missed a chance to see him live down in Oklahoma, but next year I will try to see the greatest in person.

Comment

C'MON!!!! That "Nike" moment when Tiger pitched back to a par three he overshot... He had to pitch into the middle of the green to get near the pin at the base of a hill and he damn near stopped the ball on the hill above the hole and the ball proceeded to trickle on down with the camera catching the checkmark logo of Nike as the ball hesitated on the rim just before toppling in for a birdie to cement his victory. Best golf shot I've ever seen

Comment

Correction, the best shot I've ever seen was a low 140 yd punch shot I made with a 3 iron uphill thru a bunch of trees leaving me an easy 2 footer for birdie. You just had to see it, my buddy and I walked up to the ball and I had no apparent shot at all... Nothing, nada. Couldn't go over and no hook or slice was possible. He jokingly pointed to a very hard to see sliver of a gap thru this green wall of branches and lo and behold, the pin was visible. I nailed it right on thru all them trees and branches and the ball hit into a severely uphill green with the pin all the way back, the ball hit and checked up like it was a PW from 120 yds out. It was awesome!

Comment

me to dust off my one and only golf joke:

Two doctors aree talking. One says to the other, "I'm getting an awful lot of stress patients these days, and I just don't know what to do with them. What do you do with your stress patients?"

The second doctor says, "Oh, it's simple. I ask them if they play golf. If they say no, I tell them to take it up for the relaxation. If they say yes, I tell them to cut it out!"

Comment

One of the big keys to golf is learning to live with mistakes, it aint for the impatient.

Comment

"America's 18,000 Golf Courses Are Devastating the Environment"

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Organic Consumers have a vicious slice. They are bitter because they can't break 90.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                            Organic Consumers have a vicious slice. They are bitter because they can't break 90.

I don't particularly care to argue their position (though I think they are right), I just thought the environmental impacts of this elitist sport should be mentioned somewhere in the thread...
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Golf: I've never met an interesting person who likes it.

Comment

I've played a couple times but it was really just an excuse to get drunk.

Comment

Working...
                                X