Surprisingly this worries me more than government spying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprisingly this worries me more than government spying

Mobile phone firms plan to find out what you’re talking about . . . and tell advertisers
    Elizabeth Judge

Mobile phone companies have drawn up plans to monitor text messages and voice calls and pass the information to advertisers.

Companies such as Motorola have developed technology to scan messages for information about where customers are and what they are doing.

They claim that the service would be used only with customers’ consent. But privacy groups had deep concerns about the technology and the potential for phone companies to abuse it.

Under the Motorola plans, software would be installed on mobile phones to search for related words in text messages. If the words “hungry” and “food” were picked up, for example, an advertisement for a local restaurant could be sent to that user.

Kenneth Keller, Motorola’s chief marketing officer, said: “We have a technology which allows us to search, to understand not only where that person might be but also what their interests might be. You figure out if the person is going out for dinner or shopping and trying to find a particular retail outlet, for example.”

The technology is still under development and is currently based around searching text messages, but could also be applied to voice calls, Mr Keller said. Motorola has already started discussions with partners.

Mr Keller conceded that the service would have huge privacy issues in its application. But he said that it would probably be based on an “opt-in” model in which a consumer could sign up in return for cheaper calls.

Simon Davies, director of Privacy International, said: “We have deep concerns about this kind of technology. Phone companies may be talking about ‘opting in’ to such schemes and providing incentives to customers to sign up, but down the line it is more likely you will be penalised if you don’t sign up.”

The Information Commissioner’s Office, which aims to protect personal information, expressed its concerns. A spokesman said that any company scanning text messages and conversations for key words would have to consider their compliance with the Data Protection Act and other laws.

Consumers would have to be fully aware that scanning for the purpose of marketing would be taking place and they would have to consent to it.

“Individuals value their privacy,” the spokesman added.

Advertising via mobile phones has long been regarded as potentially profitable by phone and advertising companies. The appeal lies not only in the huge number of people who use mobile phones but also in the fact that advertisers could reach younger people who may be harder to reach via traditional media. Mobile phones also allow for better targeting of advertisements than traditional media.

Informa Telecoms and Media forecasts that the annual market for advertising on mobile phones will exceed $11 billion (£5.5 billion) by 2011.

Such services have only become viable with the creation of 3G phones with colour screens and fast internet connections. The phone companies have also held back in part because of fears that consumers might complain about intrusive “spam”.

Many phone companies claim that research shows that “opt-in” services — where customers agree to give up personal information and to receive advertisements in return for cheaper calls — will become more viable.

Three weeks ago, the first such service was introduced. Blyk offers customers free airtime minutes if they agree to receive advertisements on their handsets. To receive the service, Blyk customers must first give details of their spending habits and planned purchases on a website. Phone companies believe that the service could be combined with GPS technology — now a feature of many mobile phones — to allow them to identify where a user is and send them advertising.

The Data Protection Act restricts the use of personal data by mobile phone companies. They cannot pass on information to a third party without the consent of that person. But consumer groups fear that the law might not be able to keep up with the technology. Mr Davies said: “Most privacy regulations are about five years behind the technology development cycle.”

Companies using this stuff is more concerning to me that governments wanting to do it.

I am not concerned about the privacy issue, I am more concerned about being bombarded with text message adverts for goodness knows what after phone conversations had and text messages sent, especially to certain of my female friends.

Damn, all you need to ask a friend is "How's your father?" and who knows what sex related adverts you may get.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Big companies offering competitive coke* deals

*The poster utterly refutes having anything to do with illegal substances and must also admit that such exotic pastimes are completely beyond his grey, dull and humdrum existance

Comment

If it's opt-in... who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
        Simon Davies, director of Privacy International, said: “We have deep concerns about this kind of technology. Phone companies may be talking about ‘opting in’ to such schemes and providing incentives to customers to sign up, but down the line it is more likely you will be penalised if you don’t sign up.
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

The funny thing is, this is not much different than what Google does now.

If it ever reaches a point, though, where you can't prevent text ads and such on your phone, I would be very angry.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Simon Davies, director of Privacy International, said: “We have deep concerns about this kind of technology. Phone companies may be talking about ‘opting in’ to such schemes and providing incentives to customers to sign up, but down the line it is more likely you will be penalised if you don’t sign up.
            I read that... crystal balls just don't do it for me.

Comment

I think Poly is using a similar system. Some of the quotes I get after posting are eerie.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

What did it quote for you there Wezil?

Mine was:

"Every cloud has a silver lining; you should have sold it, and bought titanium."

I thought silver had been doing well lately...

Comment

What did it quote for you there Wezil?
                  I don't remember that one now.

The freakiest one was a Hunter S. Thompson quote after I had responded to Pekka. To the best of my knowledge he and I are the only two posters with HST in our sigs.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Here's how they'll go about getting "consent". They'll bury it in 20 pages of ultra small legal print where it is explicitly said that if you use a phone then you consent to have all of your conversations wire tapped, recorded, analysised, and sold off to who ever they wish.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Y'ever hear of pop-ups? Did anyone ever opt in for them?! Someday we'll not be able to communicate because we're snowed under with corporate spam.

"Spam" a trademarked name for that tasty product that's all meat, salt, meat by-products, salt, pseudo-meat, salt, soymeat, salt, quasi-meat, salt, gristle, salt, fat, salt, and natural and artifical flavors and perservatives (may contain nuts).

Comment

I don't care. I only use my wretched phone for work.
                        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Leela: Didn't you have ads in the 21st century?"
                          Fry: Well sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games... and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in dreams, no siree.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                            Y'ever hear of pop-ups? Did anyone ever opt in for them?! Someday we'll not be able to communicate because we're snowed under with corporate spam.
                            It's called a pop-up blocker... look into it.

Comment

I have them.
                              Some of these companies even inflict upon me their own pop-ups.

Comment

Working...
                              X