Human species 'may split in two'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human species 'may split in two'

Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.

Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge.

The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.

People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added.

The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.

Race 'ironed out'

But in the nearer future, humans will evolve in 1,000 years into giants between 6ft and 7ft tall, he predicts, while life-spans will have extended to 120 years, Dr Curry claims.

Physical appearance, driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility, will improve, he says, while men will exhibit symmetrical facial features, look athletic, and have squarer jaws, deeper voices and bigger penises.

Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features, he adds. Racial differences will be ironed out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of coffee-coloured people.

However, Dr Curry warns, in 10,000 years time humans may have paid a genetic price for relying on technology.

Spoiled by gadgets designed to meet their every need, they could come to resemble domesticated animals.

Receding chins

Social skills, such as communicating and interacting with others, could be lost, along with emotions such as love, sympathy, trust and respect. People would become less able to care for others, or perform in teams.

Physically, they would start to appear more juvenile. Chins would recede, as a result of having to chew less on processed food.

There could also be health problems caused by reliance on medicine, resulting in weak immune systems. Preventing deaths would also help to preserve the genetic defects that cause cancer.

Further into the future, sexual selection - being choosy about one's partner - was likely to create more and more genetic inequality, said Dr Curry.

The logical outcome would be two sub-species, "gracile" and "robust" humans similar to the Eloi and Morlocks foretold by HG Wells in his 1895 novel The Time Machine.

"While science and technology have the potential to create an ideal habitat for humanity over the next millennium, there is a possibility of a monumental genetic hangover over the subsequent millennia due to an over-reliance on technology reducing our natural capacity to resist disease, or our evolved ability to get along with each other, said Dr Curry.

He carried out the report for men's satellite TV channel Bravo.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like charlatanry

Oh, and - discuss
    Blah

It has happened already, but we haven't told the dim witted yet.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It sure has happened already. The dimwit race are religiously fundamentalist, the superior class are reasoned atheists.
      Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

republicans and democrats. You all choose which is which.

Comment

Seems obvious this guy is an economist not a biologist.

Basically almost every sentence is a load of BS.

examples:

The timeframe is way too short.
          A few thousand years is almost no time for genetic pressure to act, and the pressure isn't high in human society (there isn't a huge correlation between genetic profile and rate of reproduction).

He has no explanation or evidence for the "splitting in two" part. People becoming choosier does not in itself mean there will be a subdivision. Heck he even says there will be uniformization.

"The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology.
          "
          The word peak doesnt even have a sense in this context.

"genetic upper class" also means almost nothing here, as there is very low correlation in humans between gene and survival rate BECAUSE of technology.

-"But in the nearer future, humans will evolve in 1,000 years into giants between 6ft and 7ft tall, he predicts, while life-spans will have extended to 120 years, Dr Curry claims."

This is another misconception.
          Humans have not significantly 'evolved' to be taller in the last 1000 years. The difference in average height is almost entirely due to living conditions, diet etc...If we genetically engineered some new babies with genes from a 10th century human, on average they would be almost as tall as normal babies, and much taller than 10th century humans. Heck , in many countries, during industrialization, average height rose greatly over a generation or two even, which shows that genetics couldn't have had anything to do with it.

I could go on and on.
          Basically he's showing that his knowledge of the subject is comparable to a layman, rendering his opinion irelevant.
          Last edited by Lul Thyme; October 25, 2007, 06:27.

Comment

I mean when you have an economist doing a report on evolutionary biology for Bravo TV (which I had to look up, turns out it "is the Number One entertainment portal for male viewers with a target demographic of 18-35. It is a gritty channel, offering comedy, drama and real-life TV..."), you can expect much crap.
            I don't know why BBC would carry this story (I don't really know BBC, I was under the impression it was mostly quality reporting, but pretty much every "science" bit I see on it is ****), or why you would post about it here I guess

It actually irks me that things like this get TV time and this guy is credited as a "scientists". Hell why couldn't they get a scientist in the field that's being discussed?

Then all these people watching this will believe it because some Ph.D. said it on TV.

Comment

Bad Science.net took aim at this almost exactly a year ago:
              goldacre bad science nutrition nutritionism nutritionists nutritionist media pseudoscience gillian mckeith patrick holford mmr health scare medicine homeopathy homeopaths postmodernism alternative therapy therapies complementary hettie brain gym detox cosmetics evidence based medicine magnets mrsa phd kapferer statistics
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                Bad Science.net took aim at this almost exactly a year ago:
                http://www.badscience.net/?p=316
                Turns out they are basically saying the same thing I was!
                Good for them.

Comment

100 000 years is a very long time, given how much humanity has evolved socially and technically in the last 100 years. Some people will be living on Mars by then. Or on Alfa Centauri. Technology and bio science will have larger impact on the human species than some Social Darwinist evolution.

Dr Curry, sound like some loony Peter Sellers character.
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Ignoring the veracity of the report, I do love the description "goblin-like" for the "genetic lower classes"!

Comment

Yep, and upperclass are going to live in towns, while the underclass will be forced to live in villages, right?
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I believe the movie idiocracy is closer to the truth
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Back to the caves you go, little Goblin!
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Even though I know little of biology, this piece seemed immediately to be nothing other than the wild speculations of a dreamer posing as an 'expert'.

Shame on the BBC site for taking it seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                              Shame on the BBC site for taking it seriously.
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X