Star Trek Object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Object

Okay here's the deal, after watching a Star Trek marathon captian Jean Luc Picard beams into your living room. After saying "Holy *(Censored)*", soiling yourself, and spilling your Cheetos all over the floor, Jean Luc Gives you this once-in-a-lifetime offer:

[English Accent] You may have any of one these technological items, your choice [/English Accent]

What do you do? and why?
    A transporter
    13.33%
    A phaser
    2.22%
    A tricorder
    4.44%
    A holodeck
    28.89%
    A warp capable vessel (No it doesn't come with any of the other things)
    15.56%
    Data
    8.89%
    A really sweet computer
    0.00%
    A hypospray loaded with what you need to keep you alive till your 120
    0.00%
    A replicator (No, it can't make the other items, but it can make bananas)
    11.11%
    A cloaking device
    2.22%
    A sonic shower
    0.00%
    A communicator Pin (with universal translator)
    4.44%
    A Photon torpedo launcher with 100 torpedos
    0.00%
    Latinum
    0.00%
    Some Romulan Ale and Klingon Bloodwine
    2.22%
    His head wax
    2.22%
    Nothing, I'd tell him to bugger off!
    4.44%
    APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Where's the dilithium crystals?
    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

They're in the warp capable vessel.
      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

*Nugog should read properly.....

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
          They're in the warp capable vessel.
          No it doesn't come with any of the other things
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Like there is any way a sane person would choose anything but FTL travel?

And yes, anyone who wants weapons is probably not sane enough to be trusted with them. What would a sane person do with them? You can't pull a one-man The Day The Earth Stood Still gig, even with 100 photon torpedos. Phasor? What, you wanna rob a bank or something?

Transporter without a ship to go somewhere interesting? No thanks, the dividends are too limited. Again, some sociopath might want one to do unscrupulous things. If the technology could be understood and copied, this world would quickly become a terroristic nightmare, even moreso than with phasers as they are at least limited to line-of-sight.

If we assume the technology is too advanced to be reverse engineered then we're stuck with a one-off item. Can't share it widely, and some government or criminal organization will probably whack you to obtain it for themselves. At least with a warp ship you can take it with you and leave the a*holes behind.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Dry

No it doesn't come with any of the other things
              It's not one of the other things.

Comment

The replicator because even it can't make future items it can certainly make current time period items of a certain size. Replicated gold, jewelry, and expensive items should set me up just fine.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A holodeck. Oh the fun I would have with a holodeck.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

easy. holodeck. easily the most overpowered star trek item evar.

and isn't a holodeck just an upgraded replicator?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                      easy. holodeck. easily the most overpowered star trek item evar.

and isn't a holodeck just an upgraded replicator?
                      No. A holodeck is just force fields manipulating light.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Another vote for holodeck.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

For my personal enjoyment a holodeck obviously.

For my personal success, a replicator.

For everyone elses advancement, a really sweet computer (what scale are we talking, like a planetary grid or a ship size one?)

As for FTL travel being obvious, I disagree. We can't reverse engineer and the thing doesn't come with anything else, what are you going to do with one FLT ship? Take pictures of nebulea? No, you'll just get blown up by the first cloud monster you run across because you don't have weapons or shields.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I pick Data, because he's quite likely to know how to build some of those other objects
                            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I am Reginald Barclay.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X