No announcement yet.

Solar Power Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup, the one guy they were interviewing showed a box that adapts DC to AC since its DC coming off the panels.

The p-type is not "satisfied" with the electrons the photons "knock" over... it "wants" to get rid of them as much as the n-type "wants" them back to fill in the "hole" that's been created.
    Okay, thats the part I'm missing. I dont see how the P layer wants to get rid of them too... I thought it was the P layers ability to accept electrons that creates the potential. One side (N) has excess electrons, the other (P) has room for more electrons. Photons loosen the excess and they flow to the side that wants them, true? But since the photons loosen electrons from the N layer, the N layer seeks to recoup the lost electrons and the circuit is complete. But that means the P layer is both accepting and releasing electrons.

On CNN news earlier today they talked about the solar plant newly constructed in Las Vegas. We don't use cells, but instead magnify the light. They mentioned something about mineral oil, I'll have to look that up. Others just heat water to turn turbines to create AC power etc.
    That was in the docu, parabolic mirrors reflect sunlight onto a tube carrying oil. The tube of oil reaches ~700 degrees and this heats water = steam = turbine.

Comment

Here's one plant. Really not that big when you think of it. Less power output than one of USS Enterprise's reactors. But every little bit helps.

this next one is the one in California, not too far from the above Vegas (Boulder city actually) one.

Comment

that parabolic mirror set up is north of LA, they're thinking about doing it for Lost Wages

I think I get it, since silica is a semi-conductor, its willing to take or give electrons to get the stable 8. The photons release electrons from one side and the other will take or release electrons. The P layer accepts them but many nuclei on the P side are trying to get rid of electrons too, hence the flow.

Comment

the one they showed north of LA can provide for 150,000 homes

whats pretty cool is they're learning to layer the panels to take advantage of the spectrum in sunlight. One element releases electrons at one wavelength while other elements release at other wavelengths thereby increasing efficiency. One layer does about 10% but multiple layers can get up to 20-30%.

Comment

Re: Solar Power Technology

Originally posted by Berzerker
            Just watched a Nova on solar power and I have a question the show didn't explain. Sunlight hits the panels separating electrons from silica nuclei and the electrons flow producing the electricity, but how do the electrons lost by the silica get replaced?
            Voodoo magic and mirrors, lots of mirrors.

At my local home center in Oregon they're selling solar powered attic vents. Just brilliant! You really only need to vent your attic when the sun is shining. Could save a bunch of AC costs, but the thing costs $350 so the up front expense is still to high.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

hmm...we have 2 attic fans that got fried the last time we got nailed by lightning. The power came back on and the fans were stuck in the run position and wouldn't shut off

Comment

These mount on the roof and suck the hot air out, pulling cool air in through the eves.

Have you mounted a grounded lightning rod on your roof Berzerker? Might save your house from burning down or even someone in the house getting hit.

Comment

Have you mounted a grounded lightning rod on your roof Berzerker?
                  All hail, Ben Franklin.

Comment

Berzerker does not answer the question, must have been hit by lightning.

Comment

not that I know of, we've been here almost 20 years and this spring was the first time we got nailed bad. Damage in the past was limited to fried modems

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Very interesting theory. Exactly witch parallel universe do you live in and how do you travel between yours and ours ?
                        All right. So do we have any real physicists here who can comment on this?
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Not a "real" physicist, just the armchair variety. However, this stuff is pretty clear to me.

In most conductors (like metal wire), there are plenty of loose electrons. When you put a potential across the wire then these free electrons start pushing their buddies through the wire.

You are right, most of the (silica) atoms retain their electron shells - but it is the free electrons that provide the current, not the electromagnetic field accompanying them.
                          Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

We used to have some real physicists hanging around here. I wonder where they went?
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

All right. So do we have any real physicists here who can comment on this?
                              Well, I actuall have a B.Sc. in Electronical Engineering and though it's more than 20 years ago and I have forgotten a lot of the finer details, I can assure you that the electrons are moving around in the circuit. They take the whole trip when it's DC, but only a short stretch before changing direction when AC.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X