Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I for one welcome our new plutocratic overlords! Comcast *charges* gmnt to spy on us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I for one welcome our new plutocratic overlords! Comcast *charges* gmnt to spy on us!

For one company, FISA wiretaps carry a $1K pricetag Nick Juliano
    Published: Tuesday October 16, 2007

del.icio.us

Print This Email This

Although the scope of surveillance conducted under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act remains shrouded in secrecy, newly disclosed documents show the costs one company charges the government to eavesdrop on customers.

Comcast, which is among the nation's largest telecommunication companies, charges $1,000 to install a FISA wiretap and $750 for each additional month authorities want to keep an eye on suspects, according to the company's Handbook for Law Enforcement. Secrecy News obtained the document and published it Monday.

"I was actually surprised that this was such a routine transaction that it would have a set fee," said Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists' Project on Government Secrecy.

Aftergood, who runs the Secrecy News blog, told RAW STORY that the Comcast document was the only one he has seen outlining wiretap procedures and costs, so he couldn't compare Comcast's fees with those charged by other telecoms.

The Comcast handbook says the company will comply with legal requests from federal, state and local authorities to monitor the communications of criminal suspects, and the company notes legal ambiguity surrounding some of the more controversial tools that have emerged since Sept. 11, 2001.

The manual says an FBI agent must hand deliver National Security Letters to Comcast's headquarters in Philadelphia.

"Upon receipt Comcast will handle all documents with the appropriate care and security as required by law," the handbook says. "Attention must be paid to the various court proceedings in which the legal status of such requests is at issue."

Aftergood acknowledged that the handbook doesn't do much by way of establishing the scope of FISA surveillance or NSLs.

"I think it's more or an interesting nugget" of information," Aftergood said. "Even if there are let's say 100 or 200 $1,000 payments (for FISA intercepts) over the course of a year, I think those would be indistinguishable from the larger revenue stream."

New plutocratic overlords? Well aren't you naive.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Once you add in late fees, interest, collection fees, monitoring fees, attorney fees, transaction fees,and expenses, you're talking real money.

Comment

Edit: Read further down.

Wow. Double-plus illegal activities. Repeatedly breaking the law, helping the Bush Administration to repeatedly break the law, AND making money off repeatedly breaking the law. Comcast is going to be facing quite a few individual charges...
        Last edited by DRoseDARs; October 22, 2007, 20:43.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

But when its quarterly earnings are up, the shareholders will love it ... and it's bonuses all around for upper management

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
            Wow. Double-plus illegal activities.

Like complying with a search when the police have a warrant?

Jesus, people, wiretaps aren't illegal. Wiretaps without a warrant are illegal. These wiretaps had warrants provided by the FISA court as specified by Congress.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait. Since when does the Bush Administration seek FISA approval. Last I heard, the FISA court REJECTED pretty much all requests from them, doing so more times (by several magnitudes) in the past few years than in 30-ish years. I'll admit my eyes glossed over that part, but wtf? Since when?

Comment

Read the title of the goddamn article.

Comment

Comment

i.e. I'm right.

Comment

Even a blind squirrel ocassionally finds a nut.

Nut? Ok, this is the right thread. For a minute I flashed on the NJ idiot thread.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That's ok, you're old Slowwy. What's MY excuse...

*cough*

Shut up, Wesley.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Even a blind squirrel ocassionally finds a nut.

Nut? Ok, this is the right thread. For a minute I flashed on the NJ idiot thread.
                          The PC term is "differently acorned."

Comment

Working...
                          X