• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake turf watered as supplies dry up
    Hockey fields need soaking, officials say; Duke coach: We conserve at home
    Anne Blythe, Staff Writer
    It's not even real grass.
    But in the midst of what may be the worst drought ever in North Carolina, Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill are watering the synthetic turfs used by their field hockey teams.

The International Hockey Federation insists.

The universities are not breaking any rules. But like clockwork, as residents in Durham and Chapel Hill see their plants and lawns wither, the sprinklers go on at the UNC-CH Francis E. Henry Stadium and at Duke's Williams Field.

Brad Schnurr, a Chapel Hill contractor who does work in Durham, saw the sprinklers go on one afternoon recently at Duke and drove around the block to make sure he was not seeing things.

"Sprinklers aren't even the right term, they're like fire hoses," Schnurr said. "I was like, 'What is that? What is that?' I couldn't believe it."

The International Hockey Federation requires the college teams to saturate the synthetic turfs before each practice and all games.

It's not just the way the ball bounces, athletics officials say, although field hockey balls do bounce better on saturated fields. When the turf is wet, coaches add, field hockey players have better grip on the surface and report fewer injuries.

Beth Bozman, Duke's field hockey coach, said she understood why passers-by could get all worked up over sprinklers going full blast amid conservation pleas.

"I drive a hybrid, and I recycle," Bozman said. "I'm as green as anybody. I understand."

Durham, which has about 69 days left in its water supply at the current use rate, has banned all outdoor watering. Duke, which could not supply a number for the gallons used on turf watering, gets a business exemption to spray the field and other places on campus as long as overall consumption decreases by 30 percent.

Outdoor watering was permitted in Chapel Hill until Thursday night, when the Orange Water and Sewer Authority adopted more restrictive conservation measures. It was not clear whether UNC-CH would be able to water the field hockey turf for a home game Saturday. OWASA, which reports 180 days left in its supply at current use rates, provides special exemptions for safety reasons.

When Durham started its conservation measures, Bozman cut the turf watering at Duke from 36 minutes per day to 6 minutes on the days the team takes the field. She also asked more of her entire staff.

"We made a commitment that we would not water at our homes," she said. "We're very empathetic to the needs of the community."

The International Hockey Federation, based in Switzerland, could not be reached for comment.

But the requirements certainly raise questions on Triangle turf.

"People want to know why in the world we're watering an AstroTurf field," said Willie Scroggs, UNC-CH assistant athletics director of game operations. "They can understand why we water a natural grass field, but they don't know why we're watering an artificial field."

At the end of this season, Scroggs said UNC-CH will resurface its field and as part of that process, officials plan to see whether there is a way to capture water and reuse it throughout the season.

"We're trying to be very mindful of the situation in our community," Scroggs said.

After a home game against Maryland this weekend, the UNC-CH Tar Heels will spend the remainder of the season on the road.

Duke, too, will be away more than it's home.

Those trips, athletics officials say, will allow the teams to conserve water.

"We can then be more in compliance with what the community would like," Scroggs said.

anne.blythe@newsobserver.com or (919) 932-8741
    They are all going to die. "We didn't break any rules!" What a terrific defense of their action.

Comment

I was just going to post that article about fake turf. should have woke up earlier I guess

Comment

Watering artificial turf???
        Can't they just use artificial water?

Comment

And yes I do believe water officials are moving forward with a plan to take water from our northern less populated counties. Just another example of the californication of my state. All these californian transplants think of how they did L.A. The water L.A. sucked down did a lot of damage to some parts of the state.

But we do kind of need the water. Some experts are predicting Lake Mead will run dry.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.

Comment

Just out of curiosity - do you get all (most) of your drinking water from surface ? That must cost a fortune in treatment (making it drinkable).

In Denmark 99.99 % if not higher comes from drillings and treatment is mechanical only - filtering, sedimentation, adding chalk (?).
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

we have to add chlorine. along with filters and all, I'm not sure what other treatment we have. I don't think anything else. Just enough to kill off microorganisms.

nevermind fish **** in that lake...and dead bodies... But I don't actually drink the water here. It's horrible. It's got a lot of calcium and other hard water elements because it is a desert lake.

Comment

I guess that you answered my question indirectly - you get your drinking water from surface

Well, you should vist us - our water is pure and untreated and can actually be pumped up and put on bottles.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                  I guess that you answered my question indirectly - you get your drinking water from surface

Well, you should vist us - our water is pure and untreated and can actually be pumped up and put on bottles.
                  When they need it badly enough, they'll give you a call.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

When they need it badly enough, they'll give you a call.
                    Nah, they'll prolly go north first

Steven Weinberg

Comment

They're already thinking along those lines. I/we have no interest in providing water to desert cities.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                        Just out of curiosity - do you get all (most) of your drinking water from surface ? That must cost a fortune in treatment (making it drinkable).

In Denmark 99.99 % if not higher comes from drillings and treatment is mechanical only - filtering, sedimentation, adding chalk (?).
                        We get it from whatever source is available, which includes surface water, and I'm fairly sure that all water is treated in some way, and fluoride is added at some point.

The problem for us has been lots of population growth and zero new infrastructure, we're going to have to invest in a lot of new and expensive capital like desalinization if we want to keep this up. It would be impossible for us to only consume water from the underground reservoirs.

Comment

BTW: If you face severe drought problems, it is possible to drink your own urine.

Comment

Most western states get what they can from underground, but it's not always possible to get nearly enough that way. (That said, 100% of water used domestically in Las Cruces and Alamogordo, New Mexico (where I lived as a child) was sourced underground as far as I know; the Rio Grande had explicit use restrictions due to the downstream farmers, and during the summer dried up anyhow. (The third largest river in the US, somehow has 0 volume during the late summer [at least in Las Cruces]... weird, huh?)
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

We get it from whatever source is available, which includes surface water, and I'm fairly sure that all water is treated in some way, and fluoride is added at some point.

The problem for us has been lots of population growth and zero new infrastructure, we're going to have to invest in a lot of new and expensive capital like desalinization if we want to keep this up. It would be impossible for us to only consume water from the underground reservoirs.
                              are you drinking that much more water than we do ?

Well, maybe we have an underground that are better at maintaining water reserves than you have (where the hell is Oerdin when he's needed).

Steven Weinberg

Comment

...Alamogordo, New Mexico (where I lived as a child)
                                So did I!! 904 Spruce Avenue, a few blocks down the hill from Heigths Elementary School.

It's a small world after all!
                                It's a small, small world!

Comment

Working...
                                X