Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The machinizations are set in motion, the die will be cast upon the morrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The machinizations are set in motion, the die will be cast upon the morrow!

I'm sure the title means something.

Anyway tomorrow we begin building a sea wall on an ocean property that has had some erosion. Already delivered to the site are about twenty (of 100) cubic meters of rock and maybe 15 of sand with more of both to come. Tomorrow, Monday here, at 7AM the first 50 bags of cement will arrive. Last trip we bought a diesel powered cement mixer, it's tuned up, tires inflated, ready. Last week water was plumbed to the property. Seven workers are to be there, 4 of which are family. Part of the deal here is that the workers be fed a noon meal. This morning we purchased 8 kilos of tuna which is being prepared by Dolores's brother, Boni. Rice we have from our own rice fields. Boni's wife is hired to handle the food end, cooking, clean up.

I suppose I'll supervise. Or more likely carry rock. I want to play with the cement mixer too...

Anyway, we need a few more workers. We're paying 200P per day plus tuna. That's more than $4!

Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Pics?

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Congratulations on deciding to piss away your money in a futile attempt to hold back the sea. I'm sure your kids didn't need that money for college anyway...
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Sea walls suck. They accelerate erosion in front of them even as they slow erosion behind them. Also beaches get robbed of sand generated by wave action eroding ocean cliffs and terraces. build a sea wall and watch the beach disappear.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Lancer fighting global warming

I'd come to help but Phillipines is my antipode, I think. Couldn't be more remote.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
            I'd come to help but Phillipines is my antipode, I think. Couldn't be more remote.

The tidal pools at Sumner Christchurch may be a bit further.....

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Well it's not as if I bored through the Earth to see where I come out.

Comment

Ahh - the direct route!

Comment

Re: The machinizations are set in motion, the die will be cast upon the morrow!

Originally posted by Lancer

Anyway, we need a few more workers. We're paying 200P per day plus tuna. That's more than $4!

I'm in at half that rate (but you pay the transportation).
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The house next door has a sea wall thats been there forever. The waves here come in small like a lake, blurp blurp, blurp...except when theres a storm. Then its BLURP, BLURP, BLURP... High tide combined with a storm is even bigger, but I don't know how to make bigger blurps, so use your imaginations.

So today I worked hard in tropical warmth and nearly died maybe, though I didn't mention it. My heart was beating like a heart beats when its really beating alot more than seems right. The sweat poured off me. It was a pain in the ass until I fell backwards and landed on rocks and hurt my tail bone like I haven't done since I was a kid. The real pain helped me put the discomfort behind me. I soldiered on. The Filipino workers were amazed, I don't think they've ever seen a white guy work. I believe they found it very disconcerting like when the universe goes backward which it never really does, but then niether do white guys ever really work in this country.

But I feel good now, except my tail bone. I needed that work! It is invigorating, refreshing, reborative, and restorative.

The cement mixer was fun too. Now we're worried about leaving it there overnight.

Yow! I have an owwie!
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Lancer the sweat shop foreman
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So today I worked hard in tropical warmth and nearly died maybe, though I didn't mention it. My heart was beating like a heart beats when its really beating alot more than seems right. The sweat poured off me.

It's late October and still in the high 80s around here. That's what I look like doing construction and tree work. And the cement mixers can be fun!

The Filipino workers were amazed, I don't think they've ever seen a white guy work.

Maybe they were afraid you would explode or something.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The Filipino workers were amazed, I don't think they've ever seen a white guy work. I believe they found it very disconcerting like when the universe goes backward which it never really does, but then niether do white guys ever really work in this country.

Lancer, please don't give a bad example... Next time they expect us white guys to work
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

The house next door has a sea wall thats been there forever. The waves here come in small like a lake, blurp blurp, blurp...except when theres a storm. Then its BLURP, BLURP, BLURP... High tide combined with a storm is even bigger, but I don't know how to make bigger blurps, so use your imaginations.
                            BLURP, BLURP, BLURP

Comment

Re: The machinizations are set in motion, the die will be cast upon the morrow!

The money sounds good but man, do I hate tuna!

Comment

Working...
                              X