Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tijuana wants to be know for more then just hookers and donkey shows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tijuana wants to be know for more then just hookers and donkey shows.

They're aiming to regain the world record for the world's biggest caesar salad! It's kind of fitting since the caesar salad was originally invented in this north Mexican city.

Hungry to set Caesar salad world record

Restaurateurs hope to top 2.5-ton mark
    By Anna Cearley
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 20, 2007

TIJUANA – Some restaurateurs think it's wrong that the Big Apple holds the record for the largest Caesar salad.

Tijuana, after all, is said to have been the salad's birthplace.

So they're getting ready to beat the 2.5-ton Caesar salad made in New York City in 2001 that's listed in the Guinness Book of Records.

The Tijuana branch of the National Chamber of Restaurants and Food Condiments, known by its acronym CANIRAC, will sponsor the challenge today. Under the direction of five head chefs and with the help of 20 assistant chefs and 300 students from a local culinary program, the city plans to prepare a 3-ton salad that's 60 meters long and can feed 15,000 people.

Tijuana has tossed giant salads before: In 1998, the same group held an event to create a 27.4-meter-long Caesar salad, but it never made Guinness' book.

This time, the salad preparation and creation will be monitored on site by a representative of the Guinness Book of Records, said Martha Lobo Rodríguez, the event's coordinator.

Though several versions of the Caesar salad story exist, it's generally believed that the first such salad was made by Livio Santini, an Italian immigrant cook at the original Alex Caesar Cardini's restaurant in Tijuana, and that Santini's boss was the first to market it about 1925.

The salad stunt will be part of a food-and-dance festival marking the 25th anniversary of Cecut, the Tijuana Cultural Center, that will last from 1 to 11 p.m. The center, near the San Ysidro border crossing on Paseo de Los Heroes, is easily identified because part of the building looks like a giant ball.

Salad making will take place from 2 to 3 p.m., but preparations will start earlier, Lobo said. That includes cracking 12,500 eggs to use the whites, cutting lettuce and concocting the olive dressing.

After the Guinness representative decides whether there's a new record, and health authorities give the OK, the salad will be put up for sale: about $3 a person for all you can eat.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

They have donkey shows? Wtf is a donkey show?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Looks like I'm not eating Caesar salad again...

Comment

Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          They have donkey shows? Wtf is a donkey show?
          The real answer is there are no donkey shows in TJ though I did see one in Bangkok once. I felt sorry for the poor girl. TJ does have an abundance of hookers though and, apparently, the world's largest caesar salad.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

The real answer is there are no donkey shows in TJ though I did see one in Bangkok once. I felt sorry for the poor girl. TJ does have an abundance of hookers though and, apparently, the world's largest caesar salad.
            so I take it you actively look for donkey shows then.

Comment

Dude, you went to see a donkey show? Man... I mean you're in Bangkok, why not see one of them ping pong things, get a paddle and play some... but you go straight to the donkey show, that's not just taking steps upwards but going directly to the roof!
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

He was trying to find you Pekka.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Everybody would know I would be in the ping pong show. That's why I suggested it.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Naked of course.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Tijuana, is that some kind of fast food?
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                      X