Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book stores

OK so anything else than Amazon?

I like Amazon because it has good prices usually, but I've had some problems with the shipping part, it can really vary. Plus, the cost of S&H is always like £10 for two books or so, and still, it might take a while to get it.

They have all kinds of super saver deals and whatnot, but they're always regional, like for amazon.co.uk, you have to have a UK address to get those sweet deals. So I've spent a considerable amount of money there and throw in couple of hundred every month and never get a single kickback, and I see this deals going on all the time, but their racist policies leave me out of them.

So since I'm buying books, what seems to me a considerable portion of my salary every month, I'd like to get to know some other book stores. There are some decent sellers at Amazon, but get a book or two here and there, soon you'll be covered with various shipping costs from everyone so it wasn't so cheap after all. Plus, these lying sacks of crap usually do not deliver like promised, as in "so I got an e-mail the order has dispatched but it's been 2 weeks already, do you have a tracking code to see if it went missing?". Then like no no, we don't give you the code, or check it for you, there has been postal service problems "in Europe", so other customers have said they have waited like 4 weeks. YOU LYING MOTHER****ER! You know, it's not that there are delays, but don't lie to my face, I know you are shipping your stuff every week or two weeks or when there's enough orders so you are saving some money, don't ****ing lie that "european post" has problems, I got a DVD from the US within a week, so your UK delivery takes a MONTH after dispatch and that's "normal"? No way dude.

So... a book store that has enough titles, because I like buying everything from one place so there's no massive shipping and handling costs and I like the fact that things get done with one company and not multiple jerks.

So any links? It doesn't matter where they are located really, as long as they have good shipping and they have good prices and lots of titles. And oh yeah, it wouldn't hurt if they have some bonuses or deals with customers who often buy from there, like a point system or just about anything. I haven't got anything from Amazon and I've spent like... maybe closer to 2500 euros there within the last 12 months, I know I'm not a big customer but come on, give me a break, I think I should be considered a good damn customer and there's all kinds of crumbles falling from the table but I'm not eligible for any of them because my poor ass isn't a resident in country X.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I mean take play.com. I usually buy my DVDs from there because they have tons of titles and great campagns all the time. That, and the biggest reason is that the shipping thing is so convinient, everything dispatches fast and the price of it is included in the title. So for example if a movie costs 10 euros, you order it and that' sit. It arrives and there's no additional cost. I like that since it makes sense to order one title or 10 titles. I don't have to worry about the delivery rates, they have great service.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I believe most brink-&-mortar bookstores have websites from which you can purchase books.

BTW: Have your tried borrowing books from the library? That saves a ton of money.

Comment

Ask David Floyd to steal books from Walmart.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sloww,

Zkribbler, yes, I use library many times a week. Some books just aren't going to be founded in there, plus the important ones that I use now and in the future a lot, I buy them.

Libraries are cool if you want to browse through stuff, but it's like movies for me, if I like it a lot, I'll buy it. None of this commie crap, you think these writers, publishers and retailers can survive when no one supports them?

I buy perhaps.... 15% of the books I go through. The really good ones. Expensive ones, like the ones that cost about $100 or more and are used for job, naturally I'll order them as an employee and not a private person so I don't pay for those books. But some books I still like to get and own.
          In da butt.

Comment

I haven't got anything from Amazon and I've spent like... maybe closer to 2500 euros there within the last 12 months, I know I'm not a big customer but come on, give me a break, I think I should be considered a good damn customer and there's all kinds of crumbles falling from the table but I'm not eligible for any of them because my poor ass isn't a resident in country X.

I hear you. Well, you spend much more than me, I spend perhaps $200-$300 a year, buying only books I can't get otherwise. Still, I'm never eligible for those "super-saver free shipping yesterday" schemes and it's kind of disappointing.

Play.com has good prices, but they don't even deliver here, at least you're lucky with that. Amazon does, but only books, no DVDs or electronics.

I mainly use eBay if I need something other than a book. You can buy stuff that's completely new on eBay and so far I am perfectly happy with it.

eBay even has a good used books marketplace, some stuff there is really cheap and I wouldn't hesitate to order a truckload (shipping is $5 per book - I can live with that) however they only ship to US.

If you find some other good places to shop for books, let me know.

Comment

Why not start your own Finnish Amazon.com competitor: Amokia.com?
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

dashi, right...

VetLegion, well that's what I'm trying to do. Play.com is good but it doesn't have a huge inventory of titles in books. I like their shipping and speed though. They don't deliver there? Oh that sucks, you know you don't have to worry about anything since each item is packaged and sent individually too. They just start dropping to your mail box. And that doesn't cost extra, that's the default way they ship. It's great.
                In da butt.

Comment

book stores are full of mind control stuff
                  Blah

Comment

Well at least I won't burn them
                    In da butt.

Comment

And otherwise I really do like Amazon. I think their prices are good, but the shipping thing sucks butts with them plus they don't give me any deals they give to other customers. I don't like that. I simply don't like the idea that I could have gotten few more books with those deals and I didn't. I feel like I'm a secondary customer here even though I spend money there, frequently.

So... plus Amazon has one of the best profilers, I mean it just knows what I like, it works great. I have yet to see a store with such an accurate and well functioning service like Amazon has. It's great. I even allow them to spam me, because when they send me mail about "things that I might be interested in", heck, most often I actually am interested in the titles, and I have very weird taste as well and multitudes of tastes, not just by what other people also bought or were interested in that had the same few books, but it also gives me good results with all kinds of tastes I have and that's what makes it a lot better than what I've seen their competition has. It's very good.
                      In da butt.

Comment

You heathens of the north are literate? I'm impressed.

Comment

They're not literate, it's just that when you have wet wood and need to start a fire...

Comment

If anyone has one of those Sony eReaders or what they're called, please review them for us. I'm thinking about getting that gadget.

Comment

YOu think that's a good idea? I don't want my books in electronic readers... not even for airplanes, I don't like
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X