No announcement yet.

calc help pleeeeeeeeeeeeease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, right, you have a system where some HS courses are optional already. Good
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'd try either pythagoras or the trigonometric cercle... not sure...
      So, either:
      y = sqrt(64 - x^2)
      or
      x/2 = 4 * sin
      y/2 = 4 * cos

I have a better feeling with the first one...

However, the area of the rectangle is 4 * radius * sin *cos, which sounds like a cool function.
      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I can't help you.
        Althoough I received the award for being the top math & science student in my high school, I got thru calc by memorizing the formulas and mechanically applying them. I had no idea what I was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          WTF is A(x)? Never seen similar notation.
          It's fairly common over here; at least, I've rarely seen different.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

It's fairly common over here; at least, I've rarely seen different.
            So what is its use? For a function that you have to find yourself?

Comment

They're just saying "find the area of the rectangle as a function of x, and denote this function with A(x)".

Comment

I figured as much. What bugs me is why it's A(x) and not F(x).

Comment

Why?

Comment

F(x) is the standard notation for a function, unless it's somehow special... no reason to deviate

Comment

f(x) is the standard notation for an arbitrary function. This is a fixed function with actual semantics, thus it gets a letter that indicates those semantics.

Comment

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Oh. A = Area.

Comment

WTF is A(x)? Never seen similar notation.
                            A(rea) as a function of x, only the most common notation in the world. What the hell kind of calc do they teach you in Latvia?

You consider derivatives advanced for a 16-year-old? That's retardedly basic (for polynomials anyway), we do those at age 11-12 over here (on the highest level of the education pyramid, wouldn't know about lower levels).

Kuci's tips should help you, b etor, although it seems you already got the gist of it yourself with the first one. The rest follows from that.
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Yeah, took me a while to realize it's A for area. I'm used to area functions being S.

It's not that I consider derivatives to be advanced... they're simple to do. It's that I am surprised every time I get reminded that calculus is taught at school level in other countries. Here you don't get any calculus at all in school anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                                A. You have a right triangle with sides length x and y and hypotenuse length 8. Apply the Pythagorean theorem, then some algebra and you have y in terms of x.

B. A(x) = x * y. Since you already know y in terms of x, substitute that and you have A(x) = x * f(x).

C. Just figure out what values of x are possible given the geometry. Clearly x can't be less than zero, and the upper bound is equally obvious.

D. Easy once you have A(x).

E. ... it's kinda obvious I can't help you here.
                                thankyou

Calculus at 16? Then again, it's not really calc...
                                there's a guy in my class that's 15.
                                this is real calc, it's just the first semester. we have to take the AP AB&BC exams at the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X