Natural or Chemical health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural or Chemical health?

Do you beleive in what they call natural health? Like natural pain killers, natural sleeping pills and such?

Imo, its a load of bs. Reason why I think so is because if I take a whole bottle of Relaxen (relaxing natural pills) I wont even have the slightest side-effect. If I take a bottle of Valium, I will die.

So, do you beleive in natural medicine?

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

It can work.

It can also be dangerous.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Natural or Chemical health?

Originally posted by Spec
      Do you beleive in what they call natural health?
      I need a better description. Do you mean naturopathic medicine (homeopathy, etc.)?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I would rather take my chances with the pharmaceutical industry. And besides, I have lots of shares in GSK

But seriously, the problem comes down to the sort of religion these new age types spout. Believing that mother nature has endowed all plants with all the medicines required to heal our problems. Fact is, this is bullsh*t. There is no evolutionary benefit to a plant having medicinal properties to humans (unless they have been selected for this trait, which has never happened agriculturally). The nearest we may get is that certain compunds within the plant may be physiologically active by coincidence, and in an unrefined manner. Take for example salicylic acid - it was of interest due to its anti-inflammatory properties, however the side effects were pretty horrendous. However within the plant it is a hormone - a function completely different to its role in human physiology, and hence, the coincidence. Besides it was with modification of this compound to acetylsalicylic acid we get an effective medicine - aspirin.

So I consider the only feasible source of medicines is via research and development, and perhaps with some inspiration from plant-derived compounds for ideas on a rudimentary mode of action for a drug.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Natural remedies didn't help Native Americans much.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I am somewhat dubious of poppin' pills for all ills, but I'm likewise dubious of natural remedies and stuff that strikes me as more mystical than medical.

So I'm just dubious, I guess

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Both are a bit like rolling dice. Some work and/or won't have nasty side effects (for you)... some don't work and/or will have nasty side effects (for you).

Generally speaking though, chemicals have more potency... and so the "good" and "bad" potentials are more extreme.

Comment

What PH said
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

What PH said. "Natural medicine" is retarded.

Ludd in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

I believe too many people think you can't overdose on "natural" meds, but you can. Also, some people seem to have the philosophy of "it's natural, so it can't be bad for me". (That's one of the stupid arguments for marijuana, for example.)

So, what I'm saying is you have to be careful with natural medications just like you should be with pharmaceuticals.
                    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

I don't know man, it doesn't seem to be very effective anyway. I'm not against it, but to me, if it's my money? I'll take the ones that have proper R&D behind it and modern knowledge as well. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's better.

Even more so if my life is at stake. I'll take the hardcore drug thing, I figure it should give me better odds.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                      X