Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bhutto's motorcade bombed!

2 blasts hit near Bhutto after her dramatic return to Pakistan

KARACHI, PAKISTAN -- Two explosions rocked the convoy carrying former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto early Friday, killing at least two dozen people and injuring up to 100 others amid what had been a joyous celebration of her return from self-imposed exile. Authorities said Bhutto was not hurt.

The blasts, shortly after midnight, tore through a huge crowd surrounding the truck on which Bhutto was riding, sending flames leaping into the night sky. Police said they believed at least one of the explosions was a suicide attack.

Witnesses said the explosions scattered body parts and debris as the convoy approached the mausoleum of Pakistan's founding father, Mohammed Ali Jinnah, where Bhutto was to have addressed the enormous crowd.

Her plane had landed nearly 12 hours earlier, and her convoy was slowly making its way from the airport to the city center.

Bhutto had arrived to a delirious welcome from flag-waving, drum-beating supporters who mobbed the airport and danced in the streets to greet her.

Bhutto's commercial flight from Dubai, where she has spent much of her eight-year exile, touched down shortly before 2 p.m. today, nearly an hour behind schedule. Tens of thousands of supporters of her Pakistan People's Party had already spent hours waiting under a hot sun, sheltering under makeshift tents and canopies.

Many of those who traveled from elsewhere in Pakistan to welcome Bhutto spent the night in parks and traffic roundabouts so that tight security would not prevent them from watching her bulletproof vehicle pass by.

Bhutto, with a white head scarf draped loosely over her black hair, disembarked from the plane to cheers and whoops of jubilation from supporters. She wiped tears from her eyes as she waved to the crowd that surged onto the tarmac.

The former leader's return marks a turbulent new phase in Pakistani politics. She has forged an alliance with the unpopular president, Pervez Musharraf, who is also chief of the army. But any power-sharing arrangement between the two could swiftly unravel, particularly if court challenges to Musharraf's election to a new presidential term are upheld.

Bhutto intends to lead her party in parliamentary elections that are to take place by early next year, and hopes to win a constitutional waiver to serve a third term as prime minister.

Karachi, the country's largest city and Bhutto's power base, was all but paralyzed by the homecoming. Authorities blocked normal traffic on the city's main north-south artery, but allowed convoys of Bhutto supporters to pass. Supporters hung from the roofs and doorways of overcrowded buses.

Schools and many shops were closed as thousands of police and paramilitary troops, including bomb-disposal squads, fanned out along the route from the airport.

The scene aboard the plane from Dubai was a raucous one, with supporters standing in the aisles and chanting slogans, ignoring pleas from flight attendants to sit down.

Bhutto went into voluntary exile eight years ago because of corruption charges stemming from her two terms in office. Earlier this month, Musharraf granted her an amnesty, paving the way for her return.

Bhutto, 54, was thrust into public life at a young age. Her father, Prime Minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, was deposed by military leader Gen. Zia ul-Haq and hanged in April of 1979. She subsequently spent years in jail, under house arrest or in exile before making a triumphal return to Pakistan in 1986.

Two years later, at the age of 35, she became the Muslim world's first popularly elected female prime minister.

Much of Bhutto's popularity hinges on reverence for her executed father. Many billboards bearing her image show his face as well, as a ghostly backdrop to hers.

Although her power-sharing talks with Musharraf have hurt her popularity, Bhutto has sought to present the prospective alliance as a means of ensuring an orderly transition to civilian rule. Musharraf seized power in a 1999 coup.

Bhutto takes credit for helping pressure Musharraf into a pledge to give up his post as army chief before being inaugurated in mid-November to a new term as president. But many wonder whether he will keep that pledge.

It is widely feared that the general will impose martial law if the Supreme Court rules that his Oct. 6 re-election by lawmakers was invalid. Opponents said the vote should not have been held while Musharraf continued in his role as head of the military.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Bhutto convoy bombs kill dozens

The blasts brought the motorcade to a standstill
      At least 58 people have been killed and 100 wounded after two bombs hit crowds greeting returning Pakistani ex-PM Benazir Bhutto.

Ms Bhutto was being driven in a convoy through crowded streets from Karachi airport to a rally to mark her homecoming after eight years in exile.

Ms Bhutto was not among the casualties and has been driven to safety.

Hundreds of thousands of people had turned out to greet the former PM, amid a huge security presence.

Several Islamist groups including pro-Taleban militants have made threats against Ms Bhutto.

The motorcade is now said to be at a standstill, and police have cordoned off the scene of the blasts.

The area around a stage where she was due to give a speech to supporters has been evacuated.

Police say the bombings may have been suicide attacks.
      58 dead, looks like the idea of a westernised woman being back in charge does not agree with some pakistani elements.

Comment

Comment

What crap

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue

58 dead, looks like the idea of a westernised woman being back in charge does not agree with some pakistani elements.
            Maybe they were people who she bilked out of money last time she was in charge, because she's absolutely ****ing bent.

Shame the attackers didn't get her. Pakistan doesn't need military rule, but it doesn't need that corrupt ***** again.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but no she does not inspire me with confidence.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Over 100 people killed now, according to teh BBC.

That's one big-ass bomb.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                  I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but no she does not inspire me with confidence.
                  The best description I've heard of her is "Mobutu with boobs".
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

For Pakistani politicians, that's a pretty glowing description

Comment

I heard her interviewed on "As it Happens" (CBC Radio) about two months ago. She came across as incredibly evasive in many answers, particularly in answer to questions involving what sort of deal she and the General had cooked up for her return. I simply don't trust her now, nevermind whatever kind of sordid past she may have.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, it's amazing that she gets talked up in the Western Press. I don't have that much confidence in our institutions, but at least our systems tend to weed out the blatantly obvious thieves and pocket liners.

edit: thinking about it, I simply cannot understand such people. Sure, if you are Bill Gates, you start a company and it gets big and lots of people buy your stuff, and one day you wake up with a bank account of such a size that no human being could ever spend it all. It's not like a normal human being wouldn't have stopped long ago if personal enrichment was their aim. It seems wholly irrational to get into business wanting to make billions (unless you view it as a contest).

But people like Bhutto seem to get into politics to steal similarly outrageous sums of money. How on earth they could ever hope to spend it all, even if they bought all the craziest pieces of dictator chic is beyond me. Even Kim Jong Il doesn't spend that much, and he's a major league Epicurean.
                        Last edited by Agathon; October 18, 2007, 19:42.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          edit: thinking about it, I simply cannot understand such people. Sure, if you are Bill Gates, you start a company and it gets big and lots of people buy your stuff, and one day you wake up with a bank account of such a size that no human being could ever spend it all. It's not like a normal human being wouldn't have stopped long ago if personal enrichment was their aim. It seems wholly irrational to get into business wanting to make billions (unless you view it as a contest).
                          I think it becomes a game. The money becomes meaningless but the fun of seeing the number grow must be like trying to milk a Civ game for high score. It's the only explaination.

Comment

Bhutto was corrupt but that's par for the course in the Muslim world. She isn't overly friendly with the fundamentalists and she doesn't have the excess baggage Musharraf has. Maybe she'd be the best choice out of a bad lot.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              For Pakistani politicians, that's a pretty glowing description
                              True. Though its something that seems to be accepted all over the subcontinent.

about the bombings. Now saying 126 killed and 250 wounded.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X