Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Holland moving towards an authoritarian state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VetLegion
    That some of those parties are led and controlled by charismatic persons is a non-issue really.
    Them being charismatic doesn't bother me. It's their absolute rule that bothers me.
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Re: Is Holland moving towards an authoritarian state?

Originally posted by germanos
      The political system over here is in disarray ever since the popular (and populist) gay dandy politician Pim Fortuin was murdered during the parliamentary elections in 2002. His haphazardly constructed party won an unprecedented victory that brought them seats in the coalition government. Pim’s heirs successfully sabotaged this government by heavy infighting among their ranks, leading eventually to their complete demise in the next few elections since.

But the legacy of this popular revolt is still smouldering underneath the Dutch political landscape. Since then our parliament is ‘blessed’ with a party lead by a rouge member of the liberal party, Geert Wilders, whose party currently holds 9 (out of 150) seats. Polls give him up to 20 seats if elections would be held today. An awkward aspect of his party is that he is the sole member and president. Presumably this is because he wants to avoid the mess that ruined Fortuin’s party.

Recently, another member of the liberal party (Rita Verdonk, (in)famous for retracting the Dutch citizenship of fellow liberal Ayaan Hirsi Ali) was thrown out, and she too has now founded a new political movement. The signs are there that this movement will also result in a political party with a structure along the same lines as Wilders’. Rita is a very popular women, and during the last elections she alone was good for about 10 of the 22 seats her liberal party managed to secure. Her popularity appears to be only rising.

To be honest, I’m starting to get really scared of these developments. Polls indicate that between Wilders and Verdonk approximately 25% of the vote may be shared. Should I be worried that these politicians, who create essentially authoritarian parties, will rule my country with equally authoritarian measures once they get the chance? Is it time to emigrate while I still can? Should political parties be obliged to have a structure where members have a say in the political program they put forward? Or is that a silly ‘Big government’ kind-of non-solution?

Damn, this is more confusing then mushrooms.
      Welcome to the 21st century.

The world is not politically stable, and people tend to become more authoritarian in such times. Hence the rise of silly parties and right wing "populist" candidates.

If 9/11 marked anything, it marked the resurrection of authoritarian politics in western democracies. Of course the sensible solution will never be followed.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Is Holland moving towards an authoritarian state?

What? Are they going to close the red-light district?
        Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

Working...
        X