Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THe firefox spellchecker is just so bad sometimes

WTF firefox spellchecker?

I see a lot of things like that... a mildly misspelled word (as in the basic sounds are basically right) coming up with totally incongruous suggestions.

I dunno where they came up with such a bad spellchecker, it misses really basic principles, such as people USUALLY get the first and last letter right...

Of course because it's awful, it makes one a better speller . Because it points out misspellings but leaves it up to you to figure out the correct spelling .

Firefox 2

Firefox 1.5

Comment

And in more hilitary (at least to my mind),

carefulnesses ?!

I couldn't believe that that could be a word, and indeed, it isn't.
      So WTF Firefox spellchecker .

How on earth would you use carefulnesses?!

Comment

Plural, as in "I have a bag full of carefulnesses".
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I am often perplexed and amused by Firefox's attempt to correct my spelling. However, I keep dreading the reemergence of the Paperclip.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Firefox's spellchecker is just a typo notifier as far as I'm concerned. Any word I don't actually know how to spell I google.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Teh Firefox spellchecker has made Oerdin's posts so much less fun to read.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Blake: I think something is screwy with your setup.
                Attached Files
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  Teh Firefox spellchecker has made Oerdin's posts so much less fun to read.
                  Fortunately we still have Gepap.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I get teh same suggestions as Blake did.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Firefox Spellchecker >> paperclip
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

And...
                        Attached Files
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                          I get teh same suggestions as Blake did.
                          Maybe it's because I'm using Firefox 3 and you old saps are on 2.

Comment

Link to FF3?
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

It's not out yet, I use the nightly builds.

The latest alpha release, a few weeks old, is here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fire.../releasenotes/

The latest nightly build can always be retrieved here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/

You can use the Update Channel Selector to choose between final builds (release), alpha/beta builds (every month or so), and nightly builds: http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/updatechannel
                              That would autoupdate your FF.

Also, if you're using the Nightly or Alpha builds, you should use the Nightly Tester Tools extension:
                              # The extensions listed here are no longer supported, these pages are just maintained for historical reasons! This extension adds a few extras useful to those that regularly test nightly builds of Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird and Toolkit Seamonkey (Suiterunner). Don’t forget that forcing an incompatible extension to install is risky. There are many cases where Firefox will stop working completely or behave incorrectly because an incompatible extension is being forced to work where the author never intended.

It allows you to force extensions to install if they say they aren't compatible with the new version.

Comment

Working...
                              X