Another magic bullet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another magic bullet?

I'm not really interested in the story itself. I reads like a somewhat unusual crime story.

I'm trying to understand the trajectory of the bullet...

MOBILE, Ala. - An 81-year-old woman shot a homeless man after finding him washing his clothes in her laundry room, police said.

Ethel Sanders told police she heard noises in her laundry room Monday morning, so she grabbed her handgun and found a man standing in his underwear near the washing machine, police spokesman Officer Eric Gallichant told the Press-Register.

Sanders, who normally uses a walker, shot the man when he came at her, Gallichant said. She was knocked to the ground by the force of the gun and the man grabbed it from her, Gallichant said. The man pointed the gun at Sanders, took his clothes from the washing machine and fled, Gallichant said.

Officers quickly found the nearly naked suspect at a nearby community centre. He had been struck by a bullet that went through his leg to his stomach. He was expected to survive, and will be charged with first-degree burglary when he is released from the hospital, police said.

Sanders told the newspaper she bought the pistol about four years ago to protect herself because she lives alone, but had never fired it before.

"Whenever I hear a noise, I just go grab my gun," she said.

How does a bullet fired at waist height(?) enter an upright person in the leg and finish in the stomach?

Theories?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Isn't a walker a pretty big gun ? I guess that she couldn't lift the gun so it was aimed against him - instead she shot the floor and the rickochet went up trough the leg into stomach.

Wonder how many years he'll get for stealing water, soap an electricity ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      Isn't a walker a pretty big gun ? I guess that she couldn't lift the gun so it was aimed against him - instead she shot the floor and the rickochet went up trough the leg into stomach.

Wonder how many years he'll get for stealing water, soap an electricity ?
      I considered the riccochet possibility. Possible.

How many years? I'm not sure but it couldn't have been worth getting shot for.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Burglary? What exactly did he steal?
        A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestioned ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister.

Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
          How many years? I'm not sure but it couldn't have been worth getting shot for.
          Depends - at least his housing and washing problem seems to be solved for a couple of years.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Burglary is not stealing, it is entering a residence with intent to commit ANY crime (give or take for any given jurisdiction):

He more than likely will get actually convicted of trespassing I would imagine. It's standard to charge someone with the worst thing they could possibly be convicted of, and then let it be reduced in plea bargaining to a more reasonable charge (often to something less than they really committed).

The bullet could've struck a bone and then taken a turn, with smaller caliber bullets (as this almost certainly was) that would be reasonably likely.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

He was stealing her laundry soap! Quick, shoot that burglar again!

Comment

Maybe he was aiming a karate kick at her when she fired. That'd explain it.

Comment

She normally uses a walker. It's not a gun brand. JEEZ!
                  See below. I have to draw a picture yet again.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

The bullet could've struck a bone and then taken a turn, with smaller caliber bullets (as this almost certainly was) that would be reasonably likely.
                    Are you saying that I might have missed something if I thought that walker referred to this ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: Another magic bullet?

Originally posted by Wezil

How does a bullet fired at waist height(?) enter an upright person in the leg and finish in the stomach?

Theories?
                      Maybe it got carried away by the bloodstream
                      and finally got stuck somewhere in the stomach.
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                        Maybe he was aiming a karate kick at her when she fired. That'd explain it.
                        I considered that and ruled it out. He was advancing on her. Therefor to be doing a karate kick he would have to be advancing by hopping. Unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          He was stealing her laundry soap! Quick, shoot that burglar again!
                          Wasn't it cool that he didn't shoot her though?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            She normally uses a walker. It's not a gun brand.
                            Wrong, Tequila Breath! From Wikipedia

The Walker Colt is the largest and most powerful black powder repeating handgun ever made. It was created in the mid-1840s in a collaboration between Captain Samuel Hamilton Walker (1815-47) and American firearms inventor Samuel Colt (1814-62), building upon the earlier Colt Paterson design. Walker wanted a handgun that was extremely powerful at close range, and that is precisely what he got. The Walker Colt holds a powder charge of 60 grains (3.9 g) in each chamber, more than twice what a typical black powder revolver holds. It weighs 4 1/2 pounds (1.9 kg) unloaded, has a 9-inch (229 mm) barrel, and fires a .44 caliber (0.454 in, 11.53 mm diameter) round ball.

Comment

The article reads perfectly fine with either definition of "walker".

Comment

Working...
                              X