Legalise all drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think some of you are on drugs when you are posting (I know I am ):

Using the same logic you use here, by using illicit drugs you are violating the contract of citizenship. That being, that you will follow the laws of the land. Thus they should be illegal.
    -Aeson
    Drugs should be illegal because they are illegal?

One, there is a difference between addicted and addict. And addict may not be addicted at the time. They still have a problem with drugs, because they want to deal with problems by taking drugs.
    -Kidicious
    OK, that isn't even a tautology. Edit for clarity and resubmit.

So, asleepatthewheel, did your client recover from that horrible trip? Another reason to legalize - so he can sue whoever made or gave him that crap.

As you seem to have some experience with real addiction, I will ask you - do you think that most of those people would cease their addiction if it becomes too difficult or dangerous to find their drug or close facsimile?
    Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

• Omni,

An addict is a person with psychological problems who thinks that drugs are the best way to help deal with those problems (or alternatively a person who is in recovery). Addiction is dependency on drugs. You can have the personality of an addict before you start using drugs. As you start using drugs you get dependent on them. So an addict may not have an addiction (dependency).
      Last edited by Kidlicious; October 19, 2007, 01:31.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
        Drugs should be illegal because they are illegal?
        Read what I was responding to, and the sentence before what you quoted. (HINT: I called that line of reasoning inane.)

Comment

So, asleepatthewheel, did your client recover from that horrible trip? Another reason to legalize - so he can sue whoever made or gave him that crap.
          I really don't know, unfortunately, I left that job and city a few months after I represented him. His parents were in complete denial, so I'm fearful he didn't get sufficient treatment (ie inpatient mental facility). I fully expected to hear about him killing someone somewhere down the road. I guess the drugs triggered some latent issues, but whatever it was, it was one of the more sad and bizarre cases I had.

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
          As you seem to have some experience with real addiction, I will ask you - do you think that most of those people would cease their addiction if it becomes too difficult or dangerous to find their drug or close facsimile?
          I don't know. My clients had a high threshold for danger, both from the police, and from the street. In and out of jail. Lost eyes (one was stabbed, one somehow survived a gunshot) all for another rock. I'm not sure what would happen to them if there were no outlets for their addiction. I found that nearly all of my clients would continue to use, even when on probation, or facing a lot of time for multiple convictions. Nothing can really change them until they are ready, the state certainly can't force the change, family may not be able to. I'm not sure what would happen if suddenly there was no crack, I'm guessing there would be a lot of really ill people.

Though, honestly, a large number of my clients were self medicating, so they were already prone to addictive behaviors, unfortunately mental illness is not always a high priority in poor communities.

Comment

do you think that most of those people would cease their addiction if it becomes too difficult or dangerous to find their drug or close facsimile?
            They will have the same psychological problems unless they find a better way to deal with them besides taking drugs. When they lose access to drugs they will pick up right about the same place in their addiction that they were at previously.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think some of you are on drugs when you are posting (I know I am ):
              You don't need to be on drugs to post at Poly....but it helps.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X