Europe really is soft on crime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Europe really is soft on crime.

I just don't understand how French rock star Bertrand Cantat can beat his girlfriend to death yet be out of prison in just 4 years. Why aren't families of crime victims lynching politicians which allow such travesties to continue? Lithuania isn't the only EU country to have such a slap on the hand approach to even violent crimes where people die. What the hell is going on over there?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Lithuania?
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Dunno about this case, maybe he had the OJ factor on his side....but yeah letting him go after only four yrs. looks pretty bad.

As for the "soft on crime" point I agree to some exent, and I wished they'd be a more consequent in serious cases. But in general it is debatable that more serious punishment always works better, if it really deters or makes it less probable that people don't commit more crimes after release.
      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
        Lithuania?
        OK, the crime was committed in Lithuania but the prison sentence was served in France. Not sure about the particulars of where the trial occurred or if Lithuania also has a case pending against him. How does the EU normally deal with cases like this were the victim and the perpetrator are different nationalities.

In the US the state where the crime occurred has jurisdiction but some how France got the guy for his prison term even though the woman was beaten to death in Lithuania. Can you help explain this?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Short answer:
          People are sentenced where the crime is committed, but there is a possibility to spend your prison years in your own country. But this has to be agreed by the country where the crime occured.
          So, Cantat was trialed in Lithuania, but served in France, only because Lithuania agreed so.

other example:
          Some year ago, a young Polish committed a crime in Belgium and fled back to Poland.
          Belgium asked for his extradition, so he could be trialed.
          Poland made some inquiry about belgian prisons (and justice), because during trial, the guy had to be held in a belgian prison. Seeing everything was ok for them, they extadate (? does word exist?) him.
          Guy was sentenced according to belgian law to so-much years of prison.
          Guy was then sent back to Poland, with Belgian agreement, to serve his sentence there.
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I don´t know about french laws,
            but in germany a prison sentence of x years could also mean that you stay much longer in prison than these x years.

It is something called Sicherungsverwahrung (Preventive detention).

After you served your sentence justice can determine that you still pose a danger for society and therefore have to stay in Sicherungsverwahrung (in special prisons) until it is determined (by psychologsts) that you aren´t a danger for society anymore. It could (hypothetically) well be that you stay in Sicherungsverwahrung for the rest of your life, although your prison sentence was just 10-20 years.
            (something I would hope for the murders in the torture case I mentioned a few days ago; they got 10, 14 and 15 years, but I hope they´ll stay in prison much longer because of this preventive detention)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Europe may be soft on crime, but at least we convict our celebs
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

4 years for murder, 1 day for violating probation, seems like we are on the same scale
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                  Europe may be soft on crime, but at least we convict our celebs
                  And give them their own weekly tv show while in jail
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

She totally deserved it, hence the short sentence.
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Europe really is soft on crime.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I just don't understand how French rock star Bertrand Cantat can beat his girlfriend to death yet be out of prison in just 4 years. Why aren't families of crime victims lynching politicians which allow such travesties to continue?
                      Pretty smug for a citizen of a country that has to answer for OJ Simpson.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Women are second class citizens who don't matter much and you have to beat them on a regular basis to keep them in line. If one happens to die, it's a shame but oh well, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
                        EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

If you want to talk about us being soft on crime, you should talk to Jean Charles de Menezez shot 7 times in the head at point blank range with hollow point bullets for the crime of looking a bit like a terrorist.

I bet in the US 8 years, serving 4, is not an unusual sentence for MANSLAUGHTER, he wasn't convicted of murder after all.

I have a school friend who got in a fight in a bar, hit a guy with a pool cue, the guy died in his sleep later that night. My friend turned himself in and he got 2 years for manslaughter and was out in 18 months.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

He is not really 'free', or at least he isn't done with the sentence.
                            The release is a conditionnal release.
                            The french law says that after 1/2 of the sentence (2/3 for recidivists), prisonners who behaved well in prison, showed remorse, showed they understood the crime blah-blah, may ask for a conditionnal release.
                            Conditionnal means there are conditions. During that time they are on some kind of 'probation period', they must satisfy a list of duties.
                            If he misses one of the conditions, he goes back to jail.
                            So, I guess he was sentenced to 8 years. Now, after 4 years, a special juge (JAP: Juge d'Application des Peines), based on the file his lawyer introduced, thinks he is no more a threat to society, he may end his sentence outside the prison.
                            Until then, he has to be without reproach. Theoretically he may be put back to jail simply if he exceeds speed limits.

Link (in french) about conditionnal release:
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Re: Re: Europe really is soft on crime.

Originally posted by Wezil

Pretty smug for a citizen of a country that has to answer for OJ Simpson.
                              OJ Simpson was found not guilty. We don't lynch people in this country. I may feel he is guilty, but I wasn't on the jury and I didn't see the evidence. I will even say it's a tragedy he went free, but that's the fault of the jury if they didn't do their job correct, not a fault of the system (unless you want to argue that a jury system is the problem).
                              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Working...
                              X