Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Cycle 24 Much Delayed - Are We About To Enter a Dalton Minimum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Cycle 24 Much Delayed - Are We About To Enter a Dalton Minimum?

There is a growing body of evidence, from direct measurements, and from the studies of previous solar cycles, that we may be moving toward a large reduction (comparatively 0.25% is large) in solar output. The output of the sun has risen for over 100 years and it is only now, in our ultramodern space age with many instruments measuring the sun on a daily basis that we are starting to understand our nearby unlicensed thermonuclear reactor. If the predictions of many scientists are true, then we may be moving into a minimum period of solar activity for at least 22-25 years. This is a good thing, at least for now. It gives us time to get off of oil, if that is your culprit, without completely destroying the global economy.

To say that this will have an impact on the global warming debate is an understatement. This is a slow building controversy and here is where you are hearing the first rumbles. The new solar cycle has not started and may not for another year. If this is the case, then just about the time of the next election, watch the fur fly.

For some of us this is the definitive empirical test of whether or not our recent warming period is driven primarily by the sun or by the emission of CO2 and other infrared absorbing gasses. To others this will be a distraction that will be fought against tooth and nail. However, temperatures cannot, beyond a certain boundary, lie and we will know within a few years what the future brings. For the full flower it may take 20 years but it will happen and the controversy will continue to build, hysterical wailing about disappearing ice not withstanding.

Here is a link to the graphs that convey some of the information.

http://solarscience.auditblogs.com/c...olar-cycle-24/
    Go to NBCNews.com for breaking news, videos, and the latest top stories in world news, business, politics, health and pop culture.

Dalton Minimum from Wiki - The Dalton Minimum was a period of low solar activity, lasting from about 1790 to 1820. Like the Maunder Minimum and Sporer Minimum it coincided with a period of lower than average global temperatures. Low solar activity seems to be strongly correlated with global cooling, although the mechanism by which solar activity causes climate change is not well understood.

If this does happen, the whole climate change debate may be settled sooner than we think. All eyes are on the sun - perhaps our CO2 may save us after all.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Re: Solar Cycle 24 Much Delayed - Are We About To Enter a Dalton Minimum?

Originally posted by Solly
    All eyes are on the sun - perhaps our CO2 may save us after all.
    But we'll all be blind.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

I would suspect solar cells would have reduced output as well? Sure we need to get off oil, but there just aren't many alternatives right now.

Comment

I need to bookmark this to come back to in a few months after winter..
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I thought it was darker out today than yesterday. My friend said it might be the clouds, but I knew better!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

There seem to be fewer hours of daylight too. Every day it's getting darker a few minutes earlier than before and not getting lighter until a few minutes later. At this rate the sun will go out in less than a year.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's getting colder every day, too. So much for global warming!
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It could be a lucky break. I 'll go and get a scarf.
                  On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

-3c tonight, pretty nippy for November for a maritime climate.

Snow already falling across north-east England and eastern Scotland. Austria could open its skiing early.

An Arctic blast due to bring Scotland down to -7c and England to -5c by the end of the week.

Day After Tomorrow stuff this and it's ace
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Obviously those scientists are just shills for Big Oil.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

???

it is meant to be getting colder - ie reduction in spolar output, but it is in principle getting warmer certainly not what big oil wants to hear...

just another factor working in our favour so preventing us to see the full scale of global warming effects...

what OP was indicating, we need to be preparing now for the strengthening of solar output in 20-25 years from now, when we could see some real climate shifts with the record CO2 levels and suns output going back to "normal"...
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Solly
                          I am Steward Spink's aka Park Avenue's aka Doddler's DL
                          we know

Comment

The world owes the US a debt of gratitude it seems.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              I would suspect solar cells would have reduced output as well? Sure we need to get off oil, but there just aren't many alternatives right now.
                              Unfortunately, the oil companies Bush called into write our energy policy back in 2001 didn't set aside much for R&D for alternative fuels. Nevertheless:

(1) A plant has just come on line which uses genetically modified e-coli bacteria to turns corn husks, stems, wood chips, etc. into ethanol. Like petroleum, ethanol causes greenhouse gasses. but this should reduce our dependence on foreign oil and help the supply & demand problem .

(2) Solar tape has been invented as a replacement to solar cells. This tape absorbs light across a much wider spectrum than solar cells and so is much more efficient . The tape is also much cheaper, lighter and easier to use than solar cells.

(3) Devices are being built to harness the energy of ocean currents. Water is 1000 times thicker that air, and so it's currents deliver much more energy than wind.

(4) A helix-shaped wind generator has been developed which can be used to harness the erratic winds found in cities such as Chicago.

We're not there yet, but we're getting there quick.
                              Last edited by Zkribbler; November 13, 2007, 01:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X