X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over 100,000 Volapük articles in Wikipedia

I just noticed...

100 000+
    Deutsch • English • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • 日本語 • Norsk (bokmÃ¥l) • Polski • Português • Русский • Suomi • Svenska • Volapük • 中文
    Benokömö ini Vükiped: sikloped libik, keli alan dalon redakön.

Vükiped Volapükik äprimon tü 2004 yanul 27; atimo pabevobons is yegeds 112,066.
    Volapük [vola'pyk] is a constructed language, created in 1879–1880 by Johann Martin Schleyer, a Roman Catholic priest in Baden, Germany. Schleyer felt that God had told him in a dream to create an international language. Volapük conventions took place in 1884 (Friedrichshafen), 1887 (Munich), and 1889 (Paris). The first two conventions used German, and the last conference used only Volapük. In 1889, there were an estimated 283 clubs, 25 periodicals in or about Volapük, and 316 textbooks in 25 languages. Today there are an estimated 20-30 Volapük speakers in the world. Volapük was largely displaced in the late 20th century by the much simpler and more easily-learned Esperanto.
    Just what is going on?

One or more of these 20-30 people seems to have a lot of time as his hands
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

How is Esperanto standing?

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
        One or more of these 20-30 people seems to have a lot of time as his hands
        I guess there's no word for "masturbation" or "solitaire" or "MMORPG" in Volapük. What a pity.

OTOH, these people can effectively use Wikipedia as a massive, unmoderated forum, since nobody has the slightest idea what they're saying. I bet if you translated the Volapük article on "insects" or something, you'd get a twelve-page discussion of Eventis.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Comment

Eh, the vast majority of them are apparently (based on clicking on Pad fädik a couple of dozen times) computer-generated statistics pages about towns around the world. All it takes to do something like this is an eager geek or two and not all that much of their time.
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              How is Esperanto standing?
              90000 articles, 15th largest Wikipedia language.

(If you notice the edit history, I conveniently updated the number of articles fact to support this post, just before posting this message...)
              http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Given that it's a very simple language with zero exceptions, are those articles generated by computers, or written by hand?

Comment

Working...
                X