Museum ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum ships

Here in the United States there are quite a few museum ships. All 4 Iowas are either museum ships, or on the way to being so, in addition to the misc other Battleships, Aircraft carriers, destroyers, subs, etc.

The question I have, I guess, is "why is it the United States has so many and other countries have so few?" The U.K., for example, has zero Battleships or aircraft carriers. I can understand why we would have more but come on...not that much more.

Thoughts?
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

I keep thinking about going to the one in Norfolk.

Right now the Navy is huge here, and has been for 100ish years. The Navy hasn't been big in Britain since WW2.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

We are a far more martial people than we like to believe. We like our military power. It makes us feel bad ass.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        I keep thinking about going to the one in Norfolk.

Right now the Navy is huge here, and has been for 100ish years. The Navy hasn't been big in Britain since WW2.

JM
        Most of our Museum ships are WW2 era...why aren't there any Battleship or Carrier museum ships anywhere else? It isn't like the RN in WW2 was "small".
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Maybe because in europe lots of civilians died because of the last 2 big wars people here rather try to forget this period in history instead of upholding the memory via museum ships.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
            Maybe because in europe lots of civilians died because of the last 2 big wars people here rather try to forget this period in history instead of upholding the memory via museum ships.
            Why not use them to uphold the memories of those who sacrificed to end the war?

Comment

It could be that different cultures use different things/ways to remember the fallen.

None are really any better than the others - just what fits that particular culture.
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Re: Museum ships

Originally posted by Lonestar
                Thoughts?
                Perhaps the countries spend their money on frifolous things like social security?

Another factor could be that while the US emerged as an economic powerhouse from WW2, most others where in ruins, and simply lacked the funds to keep the obsolete ships afloat after the war.
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Museum ships
                  APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Amistad?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                      IIRC there are some Submarines as museum ships (or rather "boats") in Northern Germany though....
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

IIRC there are some Submarines as museum ships (or rather "boats") in Northern Germany though....
                        At least one there is, the well known Sub at the Marine-Ehrenmal in Laboe.
                        I assume in case of germany, even if we´d like to, we wouldn´t be able to use any large warships as museum ships. All large german warships in the 2 world wars AFAIK were either sunk or confiscated by the victors.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

We are a far more martial people than we like to believe. We like our military power. It makes us feel bad ass.
                          Perhaps some other peoples should tear down a few thousand castles/forts/towers

In any case, martial or not, large ships are cool.

I also think it has alot to do with us being overly protective of our history because we have less of it. England has been producing warships for a 1000 years, their perspective on which ones qualify for saving is probably different.

Americans preserve all sorts of weird sites that I am sure the average European would consider historically unimportant.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

We also have the Queen Mary. Big ship, not martial.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              We also have the Queen Mary. Big ship, not martial.

-Arrian
                              and not american
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X