Stasi Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stasi Britain?

On Monday new regulations came into force, after a personal decree by the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, that give nearly 800 public bodies the right to access your telephone records - mobile phone and landline - and make it compulsory for all phone companies to keep those records. So the data of your calls and text messages may be accessed by any damned busybody in any agency stretching from the Scottish Ambulance Service Board, the Food Standards Agency, the Environment Agency to every local council in the country. Naturally, the intelligence services and police are provided with the usual easy pass
    into your private life.

Henry Porter: The PM might mouth platitudes, but our phone records lie exposed, a whistleblower is prosecuted and a demonstration is banned.

Before some of the more predictably trollistic USAian (and perhaps Canadian) posters swagger through here blaming the British people for continually electing this gang of authoritarians, perhaps the extensive Neu Labour fanboy association here might like to defend the power-crazed, liberty-hating impulses of their glorious leaders.

I have no friends to phone or text, so I am alright.

They may find a lot of pizza, Indian and Chinese takeaway calls though.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Typical terrorist behaviour. No friends -> could be a terrorist sleeper. Takeaway food -> doesn't want to be seen in public, must be plotting something.

You are going to trigger red flags, no doubt about it.

Comment

...perhaps the extensive Neu Labour fanboy association here might like to defend the power-crazed, liberty-hating impulses of their glorious leaders.
          i wouldn't hold your breath.

it's yet another example of the way this country is going, but no one bats an eyelid.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Another good reason to vote Conservative...
            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

So the Tories are definitely going to axe the ID cards? No ifs, no buts, no 'reviews'?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

I see. But no fish and chips? No steak and kidney pie? Why do you hate Great Britain so much?
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                  So the Tories are definitely going to axe the ID cards? No ifs, no buts, no 'reviews'?
                  TBH I wouldn't expect much better from the Tories. It would be nice though, if there was one party with a clear and genuine set of principles devoted to upholding, or restoring, our liberties.

Comment

What's wrong with the Lib Dems? Well, quite a bit, but on this particular issue they're probably the best bet.

Comment

Stasi

Comment

Why do you Brits continually elect these gangs of authoritarians?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          Why do you Brits continually elect these gangs of authoritarians?
                          You voted for Harper, didn't you?
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
                            Another good reason to vote Conservative...
                            If anyone votes Conservative, you can be pretty sure that reason is not involved in any way.

That said, the Labour Party is pathetic as well. The UK really needs to change its antiquated electoral system. A two party system simply doesn't reflect the diversity of views in a modern state.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

give nearly 800 public bodies the right to access your telephone records
                              this is pathetic.

the police and intelligence should have easy access to such data. but no one else.

if any agency has a problem, they can ask the police to start an investigation.

this is seriously screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X