Screen resolution problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen resolution problem

New purchase: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB, 2GB 1066MHz RAM, Vista 32bit

For some reason I can't set my screen resolution beyond 1280x1024. I repeatedly installed the latest Nvidia drivers but no avail (didn't do the hotfixes, but they don't mention screen resolution).

Any ideas what's wrong?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

What monitor do you have? LCD or crt? What hz is the refresh rate?

If it's LCD: LCD monitors have one prefered resolution, that's probably the resolution for yours.

If it's CRT: Each CRT is capable of doing certain resolutions at certain refresh rates. Yours may be set at a refresh rate only capable of 1280x1024. A lower refresh rate may increase the options.

I don't know Vista so no idea if that is affecting things. Also, is this a monitor you used on another machine at a larger resolution?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

What he said. The monitor is important to know.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Check your monitor driver. Resolutions and refresh rates are determined by that.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The screen's max resolution is only 1280x1024, didn't gave it a thought at all. ****ing retarded.

Well, it's got a stuck pixel anyway (tried to remove it already), maybe I can get them to take it back and let me purchase another monitor instead.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

What is a "stuck pixel"?
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Cool.

I'll be arguing with you tech geeks in no time.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

If it's stuck you can usually fix it. If it's dead, that's another story.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

LCD monitors tend to have resolutions determined by their size (although manufacturers can vary a bit on that, as well as quality). 19" are usually 1280x1024, I think...
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuck_pixel
                      The new version of telling people to google it .
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Fair enough. The answer was more than a few words.

Comment

Working...
                        X