108 Student Aggressors Suspended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 108 Student Aggressors Suspended

So. What is more disruptive to the educational process: Red shoes or suspending 108 kids?

108 Students Suspended Over Dress Code
    Parents Called For Conferences

INDIANAPOLIS -- Some students are paying the price for not complying with Indianapolis Public Schools' dress code.

A large dress code crackdown Monday led to the suspension of as many as 108 students at Arsenal Tech High School, WRTV-TV in Indianapolis reported.

The students had been sliding by the policy for various reasons. Najay Harp, 15, walked to the bus stop Monday morning in her favorite red shoes, which are not allowed in the dress code.

"I think that people are putting their own twist on the uniform. I mean, if we're going to have to wear it, we at least want to be cute and wear it," Harp said.

The number of students who were suspended equates to about 3 percent of the entire student body at Arsenal Tech.

The suspensions were meant to put teeth in the dress code policy throughout IPS and send a message -- comply with the dress code or face the consequences.

Some students cringed when the uniform policy went into effect in early September. Plain-colored shirts, black, tan or navy pants or skirts and white, black, brown or navy dress shoes are not exactly what fashionable students would like to wear.

IPS officials said most students complied, and that they are forced to make those who didn't accountable.

As she read her daughter's suspension notice, Najay's mother, Jenette Ezel, said she is not surprised and not angry.

"She was wrong, and I'm not going to uphold her when she's wrong," Ezel said.

Parent were told they need to come in for a conference to discuss the suspensions and talk about the specific issue that got the student suspended.

Suspensions will be evaluated after the parent conferences.
    Sounds to me like some school administrator got his or her panties in a bunch and blasted off in a power trip. I don't see any indication of any verbal warning or any note home to mommy or daddy. Just mass suspensions.

I'm glad it is the important issues of modern youth that they are focussing on I have never to this day understood dress policies - that goes for the adult equivalent too: the suit.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Understanding and complying are two different things.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

All rules should be questioned. The vast majority exist because of the deleterious effect it has on others or society as a whole. But not dressing as per the regulations...sounds like little Hitlers trying to enforce their will for no apparent reason.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The mother understood.

"She was wrong, and I'm not going to uphold her when she's wrong," Ezel said.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I will back down. A girls mother, obviously arbiter of all that is right and wrong, knows best...
            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Four legs good Two legs better

Little boxes on the hillside,
              Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
              Little boxes, little boxes,
              Little boxes, all the same.
              There's a green one and a pink one
              And a blue one and a yellow one
              And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
              And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses
              All go to the university,
              And they all get put in boxes,
              And there's doctors and there's lawyers
              And business executives,

And they all play on the golf-course,
              And drink their Martini dry,
              And they all have pretty children,
              And the children go to school.
              And the children go to summer camp
              And then to the university,
              And they all get put in boxes
              And they all come out the same.

And the boys go into business,
              And marry, and raise a family,
              And they all get put in boxes,
              There's a green one and a pink one
              And a blue one and a yellow one

Comment

Don't you know red shoes are the sign of the devil!?
                EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
                  Don't you know red shoes are the sign of the devil!?
                  There's no place like home...
                  .There's no place like home...
                  ..There's no place like home...
                  ...There's no place like home...

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    I will back down. A girls mother, obviously arbiter of all that is right and wrong, knows best...
                    No, but she is obviously mature enough to know that the rule existed (right or wrong) and her child was not in compliance. The proper response would be to...?

From the article:

The number of students who were suspended equates to about 3 percent of the entire student body at Arsenal Tech.

Most obviously understood. Confusion was not the issue.

The suspensions were meant to put teeth in the dress code policy throughout IPS and send a message -- comply with the dress code or face the consequences.

Obviously this school board considers this important.

Parent were told they need to come in for a conference to discuss the suspensions and talk about the specific issue that got the student suspended.

Sounds to me like some students are intentionally flouting the rule.

Comment

Teenagers breaking rules and testing the water...well I never.

How and whether people comply with the rules is not what I am concerned with - it seems like they are prepared to coerce people into following them. But I just don't see any value or importance to the rules in the first place.
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Teenagers breaking rules and testing the water...well I never.
                        An excellent opportunity to learn about consequences.

How and whether people comply with the rules is not what I am concerned with - it seems like they are prepared to coerce people into following them. But I just don't see any value or importance to the rules in the first place.
                        I am concerned with the following of the rules and people are "coerced" every day into following all kinds of rules. If they/you/we don't like a rule for whatever reason there are proper ways to change them. If civil disobedience is your route then be prepared to get hassled by "the man".

Comment

They're clearly just trying to display their affection for the Gunners. Up the Arsenal!

Comment

They weren't tazered?

Comment

Dress code one step shy of a school uniform is probably a good idea, all things considered. Get over it. Wear your favorite shoes to the mall.
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                              X