Miss Moneypenny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Moneypenny

Lois Maxwell who played Miss Moneypenny in the first 14 James Bond movies died early today 9/30/07 in Australia.

I though of her as a real sweetheart.

Re: Miss Moneypenny

Originally posted by Joseph
    Lois Maxwell who played Miss Moneypenny in the first 14 James Bond movies died early today 9/30/07 in Australia.

I though of her as a real sweetheart.
    What did you guys do to her?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Moneypenny
      James Bond (Sean Connery)
      James Bond (Daniel Craig, although he really should have looked more suave at the end) 1/2
      James Bond (Timothy Dalton
      James Bond (Pierce Brosnan, before the movies really started to suck) 1/2
      James Bond (George Lazenby, could've done more if he'd stayed with it, I think)
      James Bond (Roger Moore, I enjoy his movies, pretty funny, but the movies just went way overboard. Loses points for the damage done to the series.)

Comment

Mish Moneypenny
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Miss Moneypenny drops, alas.

I always liked her in Bond films, that unrequited pining, the frisson of sexual tension, her charm.
          Attached Files
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You'd think she would deserve a few columns.

Canada's Lois Maxwell, who played Moneypenny, dies
            Last Updated: Sunday, September 30, 2007 | 4:13 PM ET
            CBC News
            Canadian actress Lois Maxwell, who played the definitive Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond films, has died. She was 80.

Maxwell died in hospital in Fremantle, Australia on Saturday.

Lois Maxwell, shown in 1947, went on to star as Miss Moneypenny in 14 James Bond movies.
            (Associated Press) Winner of a Golden Globe for the Shirley Temple movie, That Hagen Girl, Maxwell also starred in the CBC-TV series Adventures in Rainbow Country and wrote a column in the Toronto Sun newspaper under the name Miss Moneypenny.

Maxwell was born Lois Hooker in Kitchener, Ont., in 1927.

She started her acting career on radio, but left home at 15 to join the army. She travelled throughout Europe in the Second World War, performing music and dance numbers in the Army Entertainment Corps.

During a tour of London, the troupe discovered she was under age and she enrolled in the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London to avoid being shipped home.

Continue Article

At age 20, Maxwell headed to Hollywood. In 1946, she landed a minor role in A Matter of Life and Death.

Only a year later, she was hailed as best newcomer at the Golden Globe Awards, for her part in That Hagen Girl, which also starred Temple and Ronald Reagan.

Shortly afterward, she appeared in a photo layout in Life Magazine with another up-and-coming actress — Marilyn Monroe.

She moved to Rome from 1950 to 1955, appearing in a series of Italian films, before meeting her husband, television executive Peter Marriott.

They settled in London and had two children, Melinda and Christian.

Shortly after the birth of her second child, Maxwell was asked to take the role of M's secretary in Dr. No, the first of the Bond movies to star Sean Connery.

Her character Miss Moneypenny's flirtatious interactions with Agent 007 were popular with moviegoers and she outlasted another Bond, Roger Moore.

"She was always fun and she was wonderful to be with," said Moore in an interview with BBC. "She was absolutely perfect casting."

Moore had known Maxwell since they were drama students together in London.

"I think it was a great disappointment to her that she had not been promoted to play M. She would have been a wonderful M," he said.

She starred in 14 movies as Moneypenny, including The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only and A View to a Kill.

During this period she also appeared in Stanley Kubrick's Lolita and worked on TV shows including The Saint, The Baron, UFOand The Persuaders! She also was a voice on the children's marionette series Stingray.

After the death of her husband in 1973, she moved back to Canada and bought a cottage in northern Ontario.

At that time, she took a role as the mother in the CBC series Adventures in Rainbow Country, which focused on the adventures of teenage Billy, his sister Hannah and their Ojibway friend Pete.

In the 1980s, she became a regular columnist for the Toronto Sun newspaper, sharing stories about her experiences on the movie set, her co-stars, her life in Italy and her present life.

Her last movie, made in 2001, was a thriller, The Fourth Angel. She retired to the U.K., but moved to Western Australia to be close to her son's family.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

A pic from 1947.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                A pic from 1947.
                5 bucks says she's with Ronald Reagan in a differently cropped version of that picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

It certainly looks like it. My pic was from the link attached.

Comment

Mine's from the online version of my newspaper, but it isn't noted in the caption. The obituary you quoted said they starred together in 1947, so it has to be.

It's always that little bit harder to recognize him while he was still a Democrat.

Comment

Oh, Moneypenny...

From Goldfinger

James Bond: What do you know about gold, Moneypenny?

Miss Moneypenny: Oh, the only gold I know about is the kind you wear... you know, on the third finger of your left hand?

James Bond: Well, one of these days we really must look into that.

Miss Moneypenny: How about tonight? You'll come over for dinner...
                      [playfully tosses Bond's hat onto the hat rack]
                      Miss Moneypenny: and I'll cook you a wonderful angel cake.

James Bond: Well, nothing would give me greater pleasure, but I'm afraid I have a... business appointment.

Miss Moneypenny: [laughing] That's the flimsiest excuse you've ever given me. Oh, well, some girls have all the luck. Who is she, James?

M: [over intercom] "She" is me, Miss Moneypenny. And kindly omit the customary byplay with 007. He's dining with me and I don't want him to be late.

Miss Moneypenny: [to Bond] Then there's hope for me yet.

James Bond: [gives Moneypenny a playful peck on the cheek] Moneypenny, won't you ever believe me?
                      RIP
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                      X