Pyschology Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyschology Question

After working on background and characters off and on, for about two years, I am nearly ready to begin writing the fictional novel itself. But first, to any of Apolyton's "psychology gurus" I have a question relevant and important to the background of one of my characters; depending on the answers I receive, I will decide to include this as his background or not.

In this potential novel, I may have my main male, heterosexual protagonist raped by a malicious male inmate within a particular institution. Can being a victim of rape cause sexual dysfunction in future sexual experiences and romantic relationships? In some individuals, could this be one of the trauma-induced symptoms?

Thanks for any serious, helpful answers.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Er, yes. Everyone knows that.

Comment

Yes.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Pyschology Question

Originally posted by MrFun
        Am I ****ing crazy?
        Thanks for any serious, helpful answers.
        Yes. Yes, you are ****ing crazy.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

But, through extensive pyschological treatment it's possible to fully recover.

Comment

Especially from a kind and sexy gay man!

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

But, through extensive pyschological treatment it's possible to fully recover.
              No, you are over the edge. There's no coming back.
              Just accept the voices and float on.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I would think so. On a more general level, I would believe a situation like that is potentially traumatizing and as such it would manifest in situations like sexual encounters in the future as well. So yes, absolutely. The other way around seems more unlikely IMO, that is, if you get raped by an inmate, submit to the dominate power and at the same time have your rectum invaded painfully, I just don't see how that wouldn't be traumatizing.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It'd definitely cause problems for some people, but I mean, some people are just going to suck it up and file the memories away under "sh*t happens".

It would be most credible probably, if it was an ongoing thing, and he grows to hate and fear it more and more, until he simply can't stand anyone person in his close personal space.

Comment

HAHA! You misspelt the title
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It depends on what type of trauma causes which type of dysfunction.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Re: Pyschology Question

Can being a victim of rape cause sexual dysfunction in future sexual experiences and romantic relationships?
                        Are you kidding?
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

It would be most credible probably, if it was an ongoing thing, and he grows to hate and fear it more and more, until he simply can't stand anyone person in his close personal space.
                          Yeah, this would make the most sense. In the story then, he will have a long, difficult road to at least partial recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            HAHA! You misspelt the title
                            oops

Comment

Why do you run away over a non-word? Misspelt?
                              Missed a pelt? Miss Pelt, some woman he knows?
                              WTF is misspelt?

Comment

Working...
                              X