Professional Ranking Of World Universities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Ranking Of World Universities

For those who are not convinced by the Shangaï ranking.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

So they're imagining that the more CEOs a school produces, the better the school is?

And thus the University of Miami is a better school than Princeton?

They've discovered something, all right, but only by accident -- and it has way more to do with methodology than with schools.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
      So they're imagining that the more CEOs a school produces, the better the school is?
      The better school depends of what you want to do.
      Shangaï answers to the question : I want to become a top researcher; what is my best choice?
      Whereas this ranking answers to the question : I want to become a top manager; what is my best choice?
      Statistical anomaly.

Comment

It's a ridiculous methodology. It doesn't appear to control for number of students at the school, nor does it appear to control for the professions students opt for.

The University of Miami is about three times the size of Princeton; moreover, if my experience of Ivy League and State school student bodies is any measure, I'd bet many, many more Miami students want to go into business than do Princeton students. So it shouldn't be surprising that Miami has produced more CEOs than Princeton, but that fact alone tells you nothing about the relative merits of the two schools.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          It's a ridiculous methodology. It doesn't appear to control for number of students at the school, nor does it appear to control for the professions students opt for.

The University of Miami is about three times the size of Princeton; moreover, if my experience of Ivy League and State school student bodies is any measure, I'd bet many, many more Miami students want to go into business than do Princeton students. So it shouldn't be surprising that Miami has produced more CEOs than Princeton, but that fact alone tells you nothing about the relative merits of the two schools.
          All those ranking are ridiculous, this one no more and likely no less than the ShangaÏ ranking. By the way, the Shangaï ranking does not take into account the size.
          Answering to your statement I can say : many more Princeton students want to go into research than do Miami students. So it shouldn't be surprising that Princeton has produced more Nobel Prizes than Miami, but that fact alone tells you nothing about the relative merits of the two schools.
          Statistical anomaly.

Comment

I have no stake in the Shanghai rankings; in fact, I'd never heard of them before. If their rankings are just as ridiculous, so be it. Lots of silliness all around.

Comment

Wow, that might be the worst ranking in a long list of ****ty university rankings.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Hah. A France study has 5 of the "top 22" universities as being in France?

Which French universities are half-decent?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

This just points out the truth that most US CEOs don't come from Ivy League schools.

This makes sense, because the job of a CEO tends toward the social. The requirements would be better met by the head of a frat or sorority at a state school than some egg-head from Princeton.

The question that then comes to my mind is whether US corporations are being led well by these types of folks versus the others available. A follow-on question would have to do with how we groom people for these leadership roles.
                  Last edited by DanS; September 28, 2007, 10:55.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

whether US corporations are being led well by these types of folks versus the others available
                    I think that question will always remain no matter who was in charge.

how we groom people for these leadership roles
                    IMO, the grooming occurs in business consulting firms. How this is done, I have no idea. Still, it seems that a lot of CEOs come from consulting industries.

In addition, I also believe that another reason more CEOs don't come from Ivy League schools is that many ivy leagers have an issue with entitlement. Most/Many? Ivy League grads think that since they have an ivy league education that they deserve Ivy League pay, thus their motive will always been fueled by money. Most/Many? CEOs aren't fueled by money, but by business successes, control, power, and most importantly vision. When you are to focused on the dough you won't end up in the executive office.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Hah. A France study has 5 of the "top 22" universities as being in France?

Which French universities are half-decent?
                      There are "standard" and elite universities in France. The elite universities are called "Écoles" and the standard ones "universités"
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

All those ranking are ridiculous, this one no more and likely no less than the ShangaÏ ranking. By the way, the Shangaï ranking does not take into account the size.
                        Answering to your statement I can say : many more Princeton students want to go into research than do Miami students. So it shouldn't be surprising that Princeton has produced more Nobel Prizes than Miami, but that fact alone tells you nothing about the relative merits of the two schools.
                        University rankings are themselves ridiculous. They serve no credible purpose. The only sensible university rankings come from the quality of admissions. In other words, if you get into Princeton, you are, on the face of it, more likely to be a more able student than if you get into the University of Wyoming. But that doesn't tell you anything about the quality of education at either institution.

Choice of school in general fields doesn't really matter for undergraduates either. For the most part, the undergraduate education you will get at any decent university in a general field is comparable, mainly due to the fact that undergraduate education is just teaching people the basics of the subject matter. In some fields choice of school may matter, but then it isn't a case of ranking schools, but ranking particular programs.

When you get to graduate school, the ranking of schools is irrelevant, since the ranking of particular grad programs is what matters. Harvard has a higher overall rank than my alma mater (both generally and in philosophy), but only an idiot would choose Harvard over my old school for grad school in my particular area (because Harvard is notoriously weak in that area).

General rankings of universities serve no useful purpose.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                          The better school depends of what you want to do.
                          Shangaï answers to the question : I want to become a top researcher; what is my best choice?
                          Whereas this ranking answers to the question : I want to become a top manager; what is my best choice?
                          Of course it doesn't, the sample size is miniscule and there are huge biases. Their methodology is ridiculous.

For example, a lot of the big countries are in the US/Europe so people from those countries are most likely to end up as their CEO's - and those people are most likely to attend school in the US/Europe. Nevertheless, the advantage was in happening to be born American or European, not in attending university there.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Most/Many? CEOs aren't fueled by money, but by business successes, control, power, and most importantly vision. When you are to focused on the dough you won't end up in the executive office.
                            Then what's your take on the big CEO compensation packages, especially the golden parachutes, where they can totally screw up and leave with megabucks?
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              Of course it doesn't, the sample size is miniscule and there are huge biases. Their methodology is ridiculous.
                              Do you mean that the Shangaï ranking has no biases?

For example, a lot of the big countries are in the US/Europe so people from those countries are most likely to end up as their CEO's - and those people are most likely to attend school in the US/Europe. Nevertheless, the advantage was in happening to be born American or European, not in attending university there.
                              We know that, thank you; the exercise is only to look at the difference between universities regarding their result in this area. But you can believe that the CEOs of the top ten would also be CEOs whatever would have been their university, and the concentration on the top ten would be a random result.
                              Curiously, not all CEOs are born in the US/Europe : Carlos Ghosn is one of them.
                              Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Working...
                              X