Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CCP Faces Greatest Threat Since '89 Protests: American Idol!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCP Faces Greatest Threat Since '89 Protests: American Idol!!!

BEIJING (AFP) - China has ordered strict curbs on "American Idol"-style TV shows, including a ban on voting via the Internet, telephone or text messages, state media reported Saturday.

The rules also say participants must be healthy and mature, while hosts of the reality TV programmes should not flirt with each other or be nasty.

Such talent shows have become hugely popular in China, with new programmes based on the same basic concept proliferating on TV channels right across the vast nation.

Inviting the public to cast votes had been seen by some observers as, in a small way, education in democratic procedures.

But when the latest rules from the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television take effect October 1, only the studio audience will be allowed to vote, the Xinhua news agency reported.

Also, the shows will no longer be broadcast during prime time evening hours between 7:30 pm and 10:30 pm, Xinhua said, presumably a measure meant to curb the viewership.

It appeared one reason for the crackdown was a view that participants were negative role models for the young.

"TV stations must select qualified candidates who show characteristics such as perseverance, maturity, confidence, and health," Xinhua quoted the rules as saying.

"The hairstyle, dress and remarks of candidates should accord with aesthetic values of the general public."

The rules also warned hosts against "flirting with each other," and making "inflammatory or sensational remarks," according to Xinhua.
    I don't think this will have any affect on the popularity of these shows among young people. If anything it could create a backlash of anti-government and anti-censorship feelings.

I wonder if they do the casting call episodes where you can laugh at the people who are really bad. I'm sure the Japanese version does.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Looks like William Hung has a whole new market to exploit.

Unbelievable!

Comment

"That's ****ing crazy man!"

Comment

Footlose?

Send in Kevin!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

No cigar... actually the reference is completely irrelevant... but no-one said "That's ****ing crazy man" better than Bill Pullman in 'Lost Highway'.

Comment

China finally gets something right!

How do we get our broadcasters to keep their crap out of prime time?
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

We've finally developed the perfect weapon...

Comment

We can thank the Brits for this. . .or blame them.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Can we send Paula Abdul to China? Please?
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You'd think that China would welcome something like American Idol, and especially the call-in voting; it'll teach the Chinese that voting for spurious nonsense is fun, while actually participating in a democracy is boring. Then they can role out the trappings of democracy, keep power in the hands of a small, self-interested elite, and never fear reprisal from narcotized masses with no opinion about national politics but strong opinions about who sang "Desperado" best.

Really, they have so much to learn from us.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Actually, the voting format is not all that democratic. Possible candidates are vetted and eliminated by a panel of experts until only a very few are available for popular vote.

Comment

Again, you'd think the CCP would see the utility in promoting that...
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Well the PRC has elections nowadays. You can vote for any communist party candidate on the ballot.

Comment

Someone should ban Indian Idol
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              Someone should ban Indian Idol
                              Absolutely.

60 injured as mob clashes with police in 'Indian Idol' riots

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CALCUTTA, India - More than 60 people were injured and dozens of vehicles set ablaze in eastern India when an angry mob demonstrated after a radio host made derogatory comments about the winner of the popular television show "Indian Idol," officials said Saturday.

The violence broke out Friday when supporters of Prashant Tamang, the recent winner of the TV singing competition, took to the streets of Siliguri, a town in the eastern state of West Bengal, to protest what they perceived as a radio show host's ethnic slur against Tamang, said state police official R.J.S. Nalwa. Tamang is an Indian citizen of Nepalese origin.

The protesters apparently blocked a road and refused to let an ambulance carrying a patient pass, which led to clashes between Tamang's supporters and a group accompanying the ambulance, said Nalwa.

Intervening police had to fire their weapons and use batons and tear gas in self-defence, said Nalwa. Twelve police officers were injured, he said.

Authorities imposed a curfew in the area Friday, which is located in the Darjeeling district 570 kilometres north of Calcutta. In some areas, the curfew was still in effect Saturday, though police said the situation was under control.

In a message to his fans, Tamang called for peace, saying, "violence has no place in song or music."

These Idol shows cause a similar reaction in me.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X