Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Husseini

anyone else read this book?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Well, tell us... do you think it's any good?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      Well, tell us... do you think it's any good?
      I think its excellent, I couldnt put it down, it was very moving.

I think the ending is a little weak, but then Im a Westerner with a taste for a conclusive ending, and Husseini makes the case within the novel that Afghan culture isnt like that, things go on. I cant say more without spoiling it.

The characters are well fleshed out, the settings good, etc. Some of the events portrayed are NOT for the weak of stomach, I would add.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Husseini makes the case within the novel that Afghan culture isnt like that, things go on.

I enjoy endings like that... but I guess more in movies.

And thanks for avoiding spoilers, but that's what I basically wanted to know, so if you want spoil now, spoil away!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Husseini makes the case within the novel that Afghan culture isnt like that, things go on.

I enjoy endings like that... but I guess more in movies.

And thanks for avoiding spoilers, but that's what I basically wanted to know, so if you want spoil now, spoil away!
          Some of it may be a tad more familiar to you, even Americanized as you are (the narrator's father is a firm secularist, so I dont need to add "and secular as you are") and despite difference between Afghan and Pakistani culture (I assume you have no Pashtun background) Theres generally a broad south/southwest asian feel - it strongly conveys the split Persian/South Asian aspects of Afghan culture, the Farsi high culture and the Hindi movies, as well as the westernization present under the old monarchy.

Theres also an extensive picture of the life of Afghan immigrants in Northern Cal, which wasnt as exotic to me, but was interesting.

Comment

I heard about the filming of the movie. Apparently they got kids to play characters without knowing the story. Now these kids are fearing for their lives.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I recently got it, it's on my (very large) to-read list. I'm currently reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns," which is vaguely like an Afghan "Midnight's Children" (but without the magical realism, and not up to Rushdie's writing ability). It's good, but really depressing.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

I read it last year. Great book

I suggested it to whoever started that thread for book suggestions a few weeks ago.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I started reading it, but I thought the writing was sub-par for my snobbish standards and didn't make it past page 30.

Honestly, I really didn't like the style of writing. My mom suggested it to me because she really liked it.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X