The Two Faces of Al-Qaeda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    Then that would mainly matter to people in Iraq. And to Sunni Arabs in Iraq, not to the Kurds and Shiites who have generally been the victims of AQ. If you want to focus specifically on the creation of support for AQ in Iraq you may, though youd be more persuasive if you were more specific and dealt with the details of whats currently going in Anbar and Diyala provinces.

I did not read the article as being mainly about Iraq.
    It's not necessarily support for AQ that I'm worried about. (Though it is a concern.) I care about reasonable people and how they view us.

But as the article asserts, the existence of Jews and Christians in non-dhimmi, status, or their existence at all. Its NOT the litany of political claims.
    I've already agreed with this. I never disagreed with what the article was about. I've told you this 3 times now.

AQ is going to address Muslims differently than those of other faiths. They have a common ground (scripture) to base their arguments off of when dealing with Muslims. They would be idiots not to. Just as they would be idiots to try to rely on our faith in the Quran and Haddis to convince us.

What I am saying is that no matter how AQ (or anyone else) choses to address the general population, our actions are certainly not irrelevent to how those people view us. That was the entirety of my disagreement with the article, the dismissal of our own actions in regards to how AQ recruits.

When we commit crimes against a people, they don't need AQ or anyone else to tell us we're the bad guys. Because our actions are speaking for themselves. Alienating them increases the risk of the "enemy of my enemy is my friend", and certainly works to make us the enemy regardless.

Yes, if we withdraw precipatately from Iraq, the Kurds will hate us. But no one cares, cause the Kurds wont attack us.
    Quote me where I've supported withdrawing precipatately from Iraq. You can't, because I don't support that, and never have.

Just because we're stuck in Iraq though doesn't mean we were right to go in in the first place, or that we can't learn from our mistakes and stop chasing boogey-men at the expense of our relationships (and in many cases the lives) of those who we could actually deal with.

One of my reasons for preempting. Folks go round and round on what we've already discussed ad nauseum. The ONLY reason for a new thread is cause Siro found a new article, with (allegedly) new data. If we're not going to focus on that, Im not going to play.
    You've been making up arguments to refute and ignoring my actual disagreement with the article. If you don't want to argue a subject, don't bring it up. I was quite content to just discuss whether or not we can dismiss the reciprocal claims if they don't use them on Muslims. (Though it would be a rather boring discussion, because there's no way you can pretend our actions have no impact on the way we are viewed. Which is why I said the article was rather boring.)

By the definitions of international law the US occupies no territory in the muslim world.
    I don't care what you want to call it. We're obviously in Iraq as a foreign military presence.

(By definition of our Constitution we aren't at war in Iraq...)

In Iraq and Afghanistan we are arming two states, each internationally recognized as the legitimate govt. In Iraq we have recently started to arm tribal groups that are willing to fight against Al Qaeeda. Is it your intent to discuss the morality of that program?
    My intent with that statement was to refer to the arming of Israel, SA, Saddam (past), AQ (past), and seemingly every other faction we think will advance our interests at the time.

As for Iraq, we have a responsibility that we've taken on to try to stabilize the country. Ideally we wouldn't be arming anyone because we weren't there to begin with, but now we certainly have to help Iraq become capable of keeping the peace for itself before we can withdraw. We've gotten into trouble in the past by arming/training the wrong people, so it's something that should be handled with care. Arming/training the Iraqi military is important, but I'm much less sure about arming/training factions not directly under the supervision of the government though.

That we're fighting AQ in Iraq, when they weren't a presence there before our invasion, speaks volumes about the backward nature of our policy that has lead us to this point.

Before we do that, we have to be specific about what actions we are talking about.
    I thought you didn't want to argue specifics, and so was leaving it at a generalized "we have made mistakes too". (Since I assumed you would agree that we've made mistakes in the past that have exacerbated problems we are facing now, right?)

But if you want to go into more depth, just off the top of my head I'd say:

- Colonial oppression/partition. (We weren't directly involved in this much, but supported Britain.)

- The formation of Israel to assauge our guilt.

- Consistantly using our Veto on the UN Security Council to protect Israel from any form of UN action.

- Training/arming terrorists to wage proxy war against our rival.

- Propping up/arming dictators to get cheap oil.

- Invading Iraq. (More specifically, without clear evidence that our reasoning was correct, without clear international support, without a clear exit strategy, without actually declaring war.)

- Imposing sanctions without international support. (This is not all sanctions, just those without international support.)

- Suspending HC, denying rights we (otherwise) claim for ourselves to those who may or may not be our enemy. (Regardless of what international law says we can do, I think this is wrong and will lead to more problems than it solves.)

- Our own intolerances held by our populace. The introduction/proliferation of "towelhead" and "sand******" into our nation's vocabulary, and the ignorance, hatred, and stereotyping that it represents, is as much a part of the problem as intolerance of our way of life held by some of those opposed to us.

That's not to say it's all our fault. But we've had a hand in forming the problems we face now, and those types of wrongs are the ones we need to address first (since we can address them), and avoid making in the future.

I guess if you wanted to distill my view in this regard down to it's very core, it would be summed up nicely as "the mote and the beam". (It's ironic that a non-Christian like me would hold such a stance, while a largely Christian nation like the US takes the inverse to the extreme...)

And most dont. Many in fact, are fighting beside us against Al Qaeeda.
    We are in agreement here.

I was referring to our overall interaction with the muslim world, and on a history that goes back well before 2001.
    I've addressed that too. But the specific text you quoted was just meant in a more narrow context.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Aeson

But if you want to go into more depth, just off the top of my head I'd say:

- Colonial oppression/partition. (We weren't directly involved in this much, but supported Britain.)

Actually during WW2 we pressed UK to promise to leave India. If you want to see US attitudes toward UK colonialism, you need to examine more closely the debates over allied strategy in WW2, when US officials constantly distrusted UK strategic emphases (in the Med and SE Asia) as designed to maintain the empire.

- The formation of Israel to assauge our guilt.

It was formed to fulfill the promise of the League mandate, as an act of self-determination and historical justice. It was a deeply just act.

- Consistantly using our Veto on the UN Security Council to protect Israel from any form of UN action.

To protect it from unfair, biased resolutions. Also deeply just.

- Training/arming terrorists to wage proxy war against our rival.

You mean against the Soviets in Afghanistan? That was also just, and certainly hasnt hurt the muslim view of us.

- Propping up/arming dictators to get cheap oil.

Most of the guys we've propped up have been happy to participate in cartels to make oil more expensive. KSA buys arms from us, so what? They live in a dangerous area, and we have no obligation to refuse to sell them weapons. Its also not clear that for most of its history, had the monarchy fallen, it would have led to democracy. Im all for reducing our oil dependence, and NOW putting such pressure as we can on KSA to liberalize, consistent with our other needs from KSA (in particular support for the peace process) But I dont buy that our support for KSA has enraged the muslim world.

- Invading Iraq. (More specifically, without clear evidence that our reasoning was correct, without clear international support, without a clear exit strategy, without actually declaring war.)

Weve debated Iraq ad nauseum. Im not debating it at this time. Suffice it say the attitudes in the muslim world didnt begin in 2002.

- Imposing sanctions without international support. (This is not all sanctions, just those without international support.)

I agree. Had we eliminated Saddam much earlier, we wouldnt have suffered the harm of imposing sanctions on Iraq. I dont think any other sanctions we've imposed anywhere have done significant harm to our repute in the muslim world.

- Suspending HC, denying rights we (otherwise) claim for ourselves to those who may or may not be our enemy. (Regardless of what international law says we can do, I think this is wrong and will lead to more problems than it solves.)

Its impossible to say without knowing precisely what has been stopped using those methods. A big terr attack would result in backlash that would be far more damaging. I agree that the admin overstepped at first.

- Our own intolerances held by our populace. The introduction/proliferation of "towelhead" and "sand******" into our nation's vocabulary, and the ignorance, hatred, and stereotyping that it represents, is as much a part of the problem as intolerance of our way of life held by some of those opposed to us.

Intolerance is found in every culture and country, and is especially intense in times of violent conflict. All told, I think the US has been remarkably tolerant these last 6 years. We can always do better though.

I guess if you wanted to distill my view in this regard down to it's very core, it would be summed up nicely as "the mote and the beam".

An expression of a man who believed in the imminent end of the world, not a guide to statecraft.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Aeson

I've already agreed with this. I never disagreed with what the article was about. I've told you this 3 times now.

Then I wont be responding more in this thread. This is, again, precisely why I asked Siro, why bother? You post something like this, and folks just you as a hook to discuss their pet opinions on the WOT, and not the subtance of the OP.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          Then I wont be responding more in this thread. This is, again, precisely why I asked Siro, why bother? You post something like this, and folks just you as a hook to discuss their pet opinions on the WOT, and not the subtance of the OP.

This from the person who felt it necessary to bring up the "white elephant" in the room.

Comment

Stop threadjacking

Comment

I'm sorry, in the future I'll try to remember your threads are for irrelevent one-liners about pre-empting threadjacking, not for addressing the topic of whatever article you post.

Comment

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  Originally posted by Aeson

What. The. ****.

Fine, good riddance in this thread, then, if you're tired of discussing "pet opinions on the WOT"

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                  X