Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Failure of Capitalism

Or more precisely, privatisation.

The US owes a lot of its prosperity last century from private enterprise and as such has applied its logic to nearly everything that can be commodified or not. However, are there any areas where privatisation has failed miserably?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Whore houses.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

space related stuff.

Comment

My favorite were the old time mental institution, which received government funding per patient. Some places would put the patients into the attic and nail the entry closed, letting their wards stave to death.

Then there were the early meat packers who'd make sausage by tossing in meat, rotten meat, meat byproducts, hides, rats and the poison that killed the rats.

Pinkerton detectives acting as agents provacateur and gunning down unarmed strikers.
        Last edited by Zkribbler; September 21, 2007, 17:39.

Comment

It fails for railroads and other forms of public transportation.

If the companies want to make revenue they would have to concentrate on profitable routes, meaning that many less profitable train/busstops (that are still used by people but not by enough of them) would have to be given up.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

UK rail privatization has resulted in fairly pathetic rail service.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Of course, healthcare.

The U.S. is the only industrialized nation which uses private insurers to provide healthcare. As a result, we spend far more than any other country, yet we have the shortest lifespans and highest infant mortality rate.

Comment

Law enforcement. If privatized, will quickly degenerate into factional fightings.

Comment

troll threads, which the free market tends to oversupply, ignoring negative externalities
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                    UK rail privatization has resulted in fairly pathetic rail service.
                    To be fair, it was pathetic before privatisation.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I wouldn't want to see private fire departments.

Your house is on fire. The fire truck shows up and presents you with a contract which you have to sign before they'll put your house out.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Your house is on fire. The fire truck shows up and presents you with a contract which you have to sign before they'll put your house out.
                        No, your fire insurance company runs its own fire trucks. Thats what they did in colonial times. The real problem is duplication of infrastructure, like with other utilities.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Without duplication, how can there be competition?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Marcus Licinius Crassus

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                              Without duplication, how can there be competition?
                              Where fixed costs are a particularly high portion of total costs, the benefits are competition are lesser relative to the losses. This is called a "natural monopoly"

Comment

Working...
                              X