Let the bad times roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian
    Meh. I wanted higher interest rates. Of course, I need to get off my ass and invest that money instead of leaving it in savings, but that's another matter...
    With many sources predicting a major recession, this may be a good time to stay in cash and out of the equities market.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

With many sources predicting a major recession, this may be a good time to stay in cash and out of the equities market.
      Yes, though if that cash is American, it might not be so hot either :|
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Perhaps Americans should buy some real Canadian dollars instead of a sham of a currency they currently use.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

When you see something like that in the mainstream financial media, a bull market is usually around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

My very limited grasp of economics... (correct me if I'm wrong)

The half point rate cut seems to point to we have already started to try to bail them out. And our dollar is suffering for it.
            Yeah, but the stock market also bounced back a bit. It depends on what part of the economy you are helping.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              Meh. I wanted higher interest rates. Of course, I need to get off my ass and invest that money instead of leaving it in savings, but that's another matter...

-Arrian
              If you have over 10,000 in savings, you can find banks that let you put it in a savings account that gives you CD interest rates, as long as you have at least 10,000 in the account. It's pretty nice.
              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                Still, not really anything else you can do at this point. As Victor points out, you can't let the whole economy go down the tubes to try teach a lesson to people. They wouldn't learn anything anyway.
                Well yeah.. you can't let the economy tank completely. But I think you can take steps to contain the damage while not engaging in a direct bailout to the morons who put us in this position.

Then again, a recession every once in a while does tend to clean out the inefficiencies. We may need one in order to correct for all this crap (which was a point made far better by "The Economist" a couple issues ago, if you want to read it).
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Well yeah.. you can't let the economy tank completely. But I think you can take steps to contain the damage while not engaging in a direct bailout to the morons who put us in this position.

Then again, a recession every once in a while does tend to clean out the inefficiencies. We may need one in order to correct for all this crap (which was a point made far better by "The Economist" a couple issues ago, if you want to read it).
                  Yeah, I think interest rate lowering is an example of not letting the economy tank without bailouts for the worst idiots. I mean, lower interest rates do nothing for the hedge funds that bought illiquid assets that now can't even be valued because trading volume has fallen sharply.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    But I think you can take steps to contain the damage while not engaging in a direct bailout to the morons who put us in this position.
                    My link didn't work all day and no one told me. It works now. Please everyone read.

This is the main idea.

"The credit bubble is just starting to unwind, a credit-derivative insider says. And while U.S. borrowers are being blamed for the mess, they were really just pawns in a global game."

Ok I posted the whole article on the OP. Sorry, I was late for work this morning.
                    Last edited by Kidlicious; September 21, 2007, 19:43.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Wouldnt the state helping people who cant pay their loans be "populist"?
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Could be.

I support the bailout. I don't think it will cost anyone anything. I think it's the best thing to do for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                          Could be.

I support the bailout. I don't think it will cost anyone anything. I think it's the best thing to do for everyone.
                          Eh? It's costing me a good 2-3% more to buy anything. Then again, the dollar might have fallen without the rate cut.
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis

Eh? It's costing me a good 2-3% more to buy anything. Then again, the dollar might have fallen without the rate cut.
                            I was refering to a direct bailout.

By costs, do yo mean imports?

Comment

Victor is paid in US $$, IIRC.
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                                "The credit bubble is just starting to unwind, a credit-derivative insider says. And while U.S. borrowers are being blamed for the mess, they were really just pawns in a global game."
                                Pawns though they be, they still went with it. I mean most people could tell that interest only payments for the first 2-4 years or stuff like that was a BAD idea. But these folk didn't care and overextended themselves.

Now, the good news for people like me is that I can get a cheap house in a year or so when the Atlanta housing market collapses. But the idiots who thought they were getting a "deal to good to be true" don't deserve anything. That'll just reinforce an attitude that'll make them subject to this sort of stuff again.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X