How close have you come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiamat
    Thought I faked being sick back when they made thermometors with mercury and held it over the coffee pot steam to heat it up.....it shattered. Brilliant
    I used the flame on the stove.

My closest brush with death probably came when a guy with a knife tried to rob me. I got so angry with his rudeness that I chased him away.
    Last edited by Zkribbler; September 21, 2007, 16:44.

Comment

When I was in about 4th or 5th grade, for some reason I tried to blow out the flame on a gas stove. There was a flash that scared me, but I otherwise thought nothing of it. Imagine my embarassment when my teacher asked about my scorched hair the next day.
      EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        I jumped my car off a hump in a road at 60mph in a 25mph zone, got feet of air, landed in the other lane facing a telephone pole and an oncoming car.

Idiocy. Sheer idiocy. Luckily for all concerned, I was able to avoid both telephone pole and oncoming car. Somehow, my car was largely undamaged. They don't make 'em like they used to.

-Arrian

I had a somewhat similar incident on an icy road.

I was going down a hill with a bend in the road. To "impress" my passenger friend I figured I'd jerk the wheel a bit and freak him out. The car did a complete 360 but ended up pointing the right direction in the right lane (sheer luck). My friend was never the same.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Heh. Mine had to do with a friend too.

He says "I dare you to hit the bump at 60."

I looked at him, grinned, and floored it. He tried to take it back. I think his words as we hit the bump were "oh****oh****oh****" or something similar.

I sure showed HIM, huh?

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

It's amazing I made it out of highschool.

-Arrian
            I had a high school english teacher that half-jokingly told me I wouldn't live to see twenty.

I outlived him.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

See, I was the sort of kid a teacher would NEVER have said that about. I was fairly sane... except when given control of several tons of metal on wheels. Then I promptly lost my mind.

I feel the need... the need fo speed!

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In High School there was freezing rain one night, and in the morning my mom says "Don't ride your bike, it snowed" I look outside, and think there is no snow I am biking.

The ice was so bad I wiped out a number of times just riding carefully, including once in an intersection. A truck was coming from my right and I was having problems even standing up and of course the truck couldn't stop. I was barely able to crawl out of the way, oddly enough I think I got the bike to safety first!
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

edit x-post - response to Arrian

There's a theory that two types of people end up in the legal field (cops, lawyers, etc) 1) The "goody two shoes" that never got in trouble and would rat on anyone in a second, and 2) The "trouble" kids that push every limit, exploit every loophole, and often end up incarcerated if they don't get their **** together (and become say, a cop).

I was most definitely the 2nd category. I was brought home by the cops many times while underage but managed to clean my act up by the time it really mattered.

But those early years provide endless fodder for anecdotes.

Comment

I haven't done many stupid things, I hope to rectify that in the future.

Comment

You live in Vegas!

You're not trying hard enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X